Hymenoptera Catalog for North America north of Mexico now Online

    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2008

      All:

      This just came across another listserv and I thought it would be useful for many of you...

      Note that this was published in 1979 and names should be cross-referenced against John Ascher's list on the Discoverlife Site to make sure you are using the most current information.

      sam

      Dear Colleagues,

      I am pleased to announce the internet availability of "Krombein, et al.,
      (eds). 1979. Catalog of Hymenoptera in America North of Mexico.

      Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.  Volumes 1-4".  It can be
      freely accessed at <http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=krombein>.

      The Smithsonian Institution provided this contribution through the
      Biodiversity Heritage Library project.

      If you click on the image of the book that is above the download
      options, it will bring up a larger image of the book.  From there,
      follow these instructions:

      Turning Pages
      1. Click any page or use the arrow buttons to go forward or back.
      2. Jump to a page by clicking page edges.
      3. Type "home" or "end" keys to jump to the beginning or end of a book.

      Searching a book
      Enter query in the search box, Click "go". Search results appear on
      pages marked by yellow stickies.

      Best regards,

      Michael Ruggiero

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2008
        Sam: Users of John's List should be aware that the
        "Other Names" category is not a synonymic list but
        rather a species level list of all names applied to a
        particular taxon at the species level. It is agnostic
        as to whether the many subspecies listed under various
        species are "real" or not, either as subspecies or as
        valid species.

        best

        Jack

        --- Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > This just came across another listserv and I thought
        > it would be useful
        > for many of you...
        >
        > Note that this was published in 1979 and names
        > should be cross-referenced
        > against John Ascher's list on the Discoverlife Site
        > to make sure you are
        > using the most current information.
        >
        > sam
        >

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >

        > I am pleased to announce the internet availability
        > of "Krombein, et al.,
        > (eds). 1979. Catalog of Hymenoptera in America North
        > of Mexico.
        >
        > Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. Volumes
        > 1-4". It can be
        > freely accessed at
        > <http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=krombein>.
        >
        > The Smithsonian Institution provided this
        > contribution through the
        > Biodiversity Heritage Library project.
        >
        > If you click on the image of the book that is above
        > the download
        > options, it will bring up a larger image of the
        > book. From there,
        > follow these instructions:
        >
        > Turning Pages
        > 1. Click any page or use the arrow buttons to go
        > forward or back.
        > 2. Jump to a page by clicking page edges.
        > 3. Type "home" or "end" keys to jump to the
        > beginning or end of a book.
        >
        > Searching a book
        > Enter query in the search box, Click "go". Search
        > results appear on
        > pages marked by yellow stickies.
        >

        > Best regards,
        >
        > Michael Ruggiero
        >

        > P Please don't print this e-mail unless really
        needed.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2008
          Thanks Jack:

          Good point I was a little to quick on my "fix" for the Catalog.  One could use the list of names of bees on the individual species DL guides as perhaps a better route given that I go with John's list of acceptable names, those then link to the "other" names list for a better cross-reference.  There will be qualifications there in terms of individual ideas about what are species and what are not, but it should be a more reasonable approximation of a current list of species than the Catalog.

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

          And a locust unto Mahomet said: "We are the army of the great God;
          we produce ninety-nine eggs; if the hundred were completed, we should
          consume the whole earth and all that is in it."
              -Arab Legend

          Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          05/05/2008 12:33 PM

          Please respond to
          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject
          Re: [beemonitoring] Hymenoptera Catalog for North America north of Mexico now Online