Re: [beemonitoring] The response of the younger, non-science public to "Nativ...

  • Lisa Horth
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2013
      This is great, thank you.

      I teach Conservation Biology in the Fall Semesters and I taught Pollination Biology over the summer. I always have the students do some type of short term bee project and they love it. When you sent this 'activities' post out, it made me wonder how many other folks do bee experiments in their lab & field courses.

      Maybe we could share ideas and in my perfect world, I wonder if we could have several schools do some kind of similar experiment/observations that would allow us to collect a large interesting data set that we could share with all the students that collected it (as well as with others). A continental experiment if you will.

      The experiments that I have done with students probably cannot be replicated by everyone because they involve UV floral cues that not everyone has equipment to perform. But I'm open to conducting other experiments if an idea strikes anyone.

      Food for thought,

      Lisa Horth

      On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM, <Ladadams@...> wrote:
      This year's free pollinator poster, The Wonder of Discovery,  features all kinds of activities for students (and adults) to get them into science and pollinators -  and there is a downloadable coloring version at http://www.pollinator.org/discoveryposter2013.htm.

      Laurie

      Laurie Davies Adams
      Executive Director
      Pollinator Partnership
      4
      23 Washington St. 5th Fl.
      San Francisco, CA 94111
      T: 415.362.1137
      F: 415.362.0176

      Follow up on Twitter and Facebook!

      Along the same lines, I recently had an employee request a copy of the diagram from the handy bee manual so his grandson could color it and he could put it on his refrigerator. Maybe some diagrams with color pictures could nudge kids into science?