Bee Decline

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2013

      I was doing pesticide research in the early 70’s. some on big corporate farms. I have seen 20,000 acres plus sprayed twice a week with airplane applications of organophosphates strong enough to kill vertebrates and the farm still have problems with insect pests. IPM has come a long way since those days. Currently, I see as much harm to ecosystems in general through the spread of exotic and invasive material displacing very specialized species which probably have specialized pollinators. Wetlands in particular are the remaining refugia being invaded.  Here is where a big loss of diversity will come unnoticed because our long term data is so full of holes.

      T. Charles Riddle

      Biologist

      University of Florida

      Nfrec Quincy