[beemonitoring] Demise of the honey bee?

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013

      To weigh in from a different perspective,

      I believe Dave Green’s (first email in this series) is a good one.  Shawn Regan’s article, though probably accurate, is misguided in my opinion.  The public responds well to hype and negative news. If they understand that there are few problems, then things get ignored and we plod along losing ground in the battle to increase bees across the landscape.  I don’t know the author Shawn Regan, nor his background or research capabilities.  However, his article seems to ring true.  I feel that people who say “the honey bees are doing fine” seem to ignore the ongoing efforts made by researchers and innovative companies that constantly plug holes in a damaged ship.

      The innate human spirit has us adapting and figuring things out.  I view Shawn’s article and the honey bee industry like a sinking rowboat with just enough people to bail it out while one or two keep plugging up holes that appear.  “The boat is afloat and we have few problems skipper!”

      We do have constant and new issues with honey bees.

      To ignore the tedious efforts and vast expense in research to get there just to stay afloat would be a shame.  The results of a mature pollination industry to change its practices doesn’t happen overnight.  Rather, it rises to each new challenge and looks to solve it while still patching holes from previous issues.

      I believe our public-facing stance should be two pronged, and slightly parallel to Dave Green’s email:

      1.    The honey bee industry is under attack on multiple fronts.  We should all repeat this mantra. Through laborious and creative efforts, the honey bee industry is able to keep pace with each malady being thrown at it.  Responsive contractors and companies continue to battle hard to create new solutions, be they adding/adjusted chemicals, creating “nuc-rearing” companies, and the like.  We hope the researchers and honey bee industry figure out each new issue and gains ground steadily.

      2.    The remaining North American bees, all 4,000 native species, without representation continue to decline.  This needs to be a steady beating drum. Through ignorance that there is only the honey bee, and “we have it figured out with the honey bees” has us ignoring the native bees… Which would be tragic.  We should continue to raise awareness that there are unbelievably huge problems impacting native and wild bees.  …and we should continue to research, educate the public, and look to help the farmers with alternative solutions. Rufus Isaac’s recent USDA/SCRI grant is one such program.

      As a team of individuals who care… we should not steer away from the statement that our future food supply is in jeopardy.  Crown Bees has recently partnered with the National Garden Club, Inc, and will be teaching all 175,000 members about native bees, mason bees, and simple steps to create healthy yards with bee habitats (cavity & ground nesters) this fall.  We hope to create a speakers bureau that will increase awareness to the public.  If any of you care to participate in the development of the slide material, I’d love to team with you directly.

      We must continue to provide manageable alternatives to ensure we have our food pollination as secure as possible.  Educating the backyard gardener is a step in the right direction.

      Dave Hunter

      cid:428334615@02052011-35DF

      O. 425.949.7954

      C. 206.851.1263

      www.crownbees.com

       Click below to hear the buzz!

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 9, 2013

        Dave Green’s sad story is enough to make this environmentalist shed tears! I will make a commitment that the next generation of homeowners, at least, who go through my classes will be aware of this problem. Too bad not many of my students are rural!

        Barb

        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor

        SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor