Other names for World Bee Species on Discoverlife

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 2:56 PM

      All:

      John Ascher has uploaded a great deal of information regarding "other names" of bees...

      The "other names" have been greatly expanded for world bees to include
      many more names, authors and dates, and some essential annotations.

      The current name files with expanded "other names" are still in
      development. More and better "other" names with more complete annotation
      are on their way once we work out some technical details with John
      Pickering. In the near future it should be possible to search on all
      "other names" names using the search box, but this is not yet working.

      My intent is to include all original combinations, all primary
      synonyms, all other important subsequent combinations, and all subspecies.

      Some problematic names are deliberately missing because their status is
      in flux (unpublished synonyms) or difficult to describe succinctly due to
      composite series, misidentified holotypes, etc.

      These "other names" were extracted from more complete source
      files. On the site all names are now cited using ICZN approved orthography
      and punctuation, i.e. numerals are written out as text, umlauts normalized
      to "ue" for example, hyphens removed, initial capitals cited as lower
      case, etc. However, the exact original citations with no longer allowable
      characters can be found in the source files, and many of these should be
      appearing online soon in addition to the normalized versions.

      John welcomes and additions, corrections, and suggestions.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      "This isn't like naming your dog spot."
      Richard Mellvill, Secretary, International Commission
      on Zoological Nomenclature, on naming plants and animals.
    • Joe Franke

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2008
          The "other names" are found on species pages in smaller font under the
          currently valid species name and on the genus pages in black font
          following the blue valid species name that link to species pages.

          All names and other names can also be viewed on the Apoidea species guide
          page here:

          http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Apoidea_species

          If you click "Checklist" among the options at the top of the page (second
          row) it pulls up a very long list of names including the other names. You
          can use a search (Ctrl F) to locate text strings (part or all of names of
          interest). This is your best bet for efficiently locating other names
          until the seach box if optimized.

          If the server is slow try selecting one of the alternate servers listed at
          the bottom of the main page (http://www.discoverlife.org/) before
          proceeding. You will find that some are faster than others.

          Please send corrections!

          John

          --
          John S. Ascher, Ph.D.