Re: [beemonitoring] Carpenter Bee Behavior Question

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2013
       Bravo to bee attraction to salts...I sense this the terrific factor . For years my son and I  have noted the simple spring-summer (we never tried it in the fall season) attraction  of varieties of bee species to human urine on tree stumps.  Sorry if this offends forum sensibilities...but a darn 'quick and easy' means to observe a meadows bee species mix...is to observe a tree stump or rock which has been 'treated with an application' of this body fluid.  I have seen ove six types of bees all at the same time landed and enthralled by this circumstance here in central NY.

       It would be quite intresting (sorry to press on with this subject...but I.m sincere) to compare this 'protocol' to other 'survey trap protocols' in the same meadow or orchard.  I hope my two images reach the forum.  all the best, charlie guevara

    Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2013

      Hi all,

      I have been looking into the potential impacts of mosquito control larvicides to non-target organisms, including native bees (not honeybees).  I have heard it argued that because mosquito control activities are usually conducted at night (or at least at dusk), that the risk to bees is reduced because they are no longer foraging at that time.  The counter argument is that native bees may still be exposed to chemicals because they often spend the night at rest on flowers or plants.  I have seen Bombus males perched on flowers after dusk, and I can envision that male bees of solitary species do the same thing.  My question is do females do this as well?  Do solitary female bees that are actively laying eggs and provisioning their nests, tunnels, etc. with food resources also spend the evenings perched on vegetation, or are they more likely to be hanging out in their tunnels, tree cavities, or other nesting places? If anyone has observations or data on this topic, or any papers that address this issue that they could share, I would be very appreciative.

      Thanks very much for your help!

      Sincerely,

      Jen Frye

      Jennifer Frye

      Invertebrate Ecologist

      Wildlife and Heritage Service

      Maryland Department of Natural Resources

      P.O. Box 68

      909 Wye Mills Road

      Wye Mills , MD 21679

      Office: 410-827-8612 x102

      E-mail: jfrye@...

    • Odo Natasaki
      Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2013
        Jen,

        From my observations on the "popular" bees that go to provided cavity nest
        boxes, the females are always observed in their channels each night and
        through incliment weather. This would include many species of Osmia,
        Anthidium, Megachile etc. I have pulled out very many see-through covered
        trays from my bee boxes for over 25 years, and the females are almost
        always there. If they have been preyed upon or if predators move into the
        provisioning such as ants, the females of course won't be there. It makes
        for good photography in the morning when it's still cold and they haven't
        left for foraging yet.

        Cheers,

        Gord Hutchings

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been looking into the potential impacts of mosquito control
        > larvicides to non-target organisms, including native bees (not honeybees).
        > I have heard it argued that because mosquito control activities are
        > usually conducted at night (or at least at dusk), that the risk to bees is
        > reduced because they are no longer foraging at that time. The counter
        > argument is that native bees may still be exposed to chemicals because
        > they often spend the night at rest on flowers or plants. I have seen
        > Bombus males perched on flowers after dusk, and I can envision that male
        > bees of solitary species do the same thing. My question is do females do
        > this as well? Do solitary female bees that are actively laying eggs and
        > provisioning their nests, tunnels, etc. with food resources also spend the
        > evenings perched on vegetation, or are they more likely to be hanging out
        > in their tunnels, tree cavities, or other nesting places? If anyone has
        > observations or data on this topic, or any papers that address this issue
        > that they could share, I would be very appreciative.
        >
        > Thanks very much for your help!
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Jen Frye
        >
        > Jennifer Frye
        > Invertebrate Ecologist
        > Wildlife and Heritage Service
        > Maryland Department of Natural Resources
        > P.O. Box 68
        > 909 Wye Mills Road
        > Wye Mills, MD 21679
        > Office: 410-827-8612 x102
        > E-mail: jfrye@...<mailto:jfrye@...>

        }\(-.-)/{
        https://sites.google.com/site/hutchingsbeeservice/announcement
      • Jack Neff
        Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2013
          Females of non-parasitic species usually spend their nights in their nests so exposure to short lived pesticides applied at night should be minimal.  The main exceptions would be the few nocturnal specie. Occasionally a late foraging diurnal female will be caught out after dark and will have to spend the night on a flower or grasping a stem but that is not common.  Parasitic females often do spend their nights in exposed places so they will be at risk.

          best

          Jack

          On Monday, November 4, 2013 2:21 PM, "Frye, Jennifer" <jfrye@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Frye, Jennifer

            Females of non-parasitic species usually spend their nights in their nests so exposure to short lived pesticides applied at night should be minimal.  The main exceptions would be the few nocturnal specie. Occasionally a late foraging diurnal female will be caught out after dark and will have to spend the night on a flower or grasping a stem but that is not common.  Parasitic females often do spend their nights in exposed places so they will be at risk.

            best

            Jack

            Austin , TX 78731 USA
            512-345-7219