Phenology...

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

      Ben and Others:

      Just to clarify.

      I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      To the Fringed Gentian

      Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
      And colored with the heaven's own blue,
      that openest when the quiet light
      Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

      Thou comest not when violets lean
      O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
      Or columbines, in purple dressed,
      Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

      Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
      When woods are bare and birds are flown,
      and frosts and shortening days portend
      The aged year is near his end.

      Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
      Look through its fringes to the sky,
      Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
      A flower from its cerulean wall.

      I would that thus, when I shall see
      the hour of death draw near to me,
      Hope, blossoming within my heart,
      May look to heaven as I depart.
           -William Cullen Bryant

      scan_editor_brg@...
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      04/29/2008 09:22 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

      Sam,
      Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
      ben
      --
      Ben Gregory, Secretary
      South Carolina Association of

      -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

      Karen:

      I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The Cow
      The friendly cow all red and white,
         I love with all my heart:
      She gives me cream with all her might,
         To eat with apple-tart.
      She wanders lowing here and there,
         And yet she cannot stray,
      All in the pleasant open air,
         The pleasant light of day;
      And blown by all the winds that pass
      &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,
      She walks among the meadow grass
         And eats the meadow flowers.
        - Robert Louis Stevenson

      Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      04/23/2008 04:50 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

      I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
      several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
      primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
      this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
      I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
      accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
      Karen

    • Neil Cobb
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
        Sam,

        I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

        Thanks,
        Neil

        Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
        > She walks among the meadow grass
        > And eats the meadow flowers.
        > - Robert Louis Stevenson
        >

        > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
        > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
        > Please respond to
        > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        > cc
        >
        > Subject
        > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
        >

        > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
        > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
        > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
        > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
        > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
        > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

        Neil S. Cobb, Director
        Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
        Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
        Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
        http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

        Neil S. Cobb, Curator
        Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
        Department of Biological Sciences,
        Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
        http://bugs.nau.edu

        Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
        Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
        Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
        http://www.grail.nau.edu/

        Neil.Cobb@...
        (Home Office) 928-214-6237
        (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
        (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
        Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
      • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

          May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

          Barb

          Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

          Associate Professor

          Department of Biological Sciences

          Hampton University

          Hampton, VA   23668

          757-727-5283

          barbara.abraham@...

          Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

          ben

          --
          Ben Gregory, Secretary
          South Carolina Association of
          Naturalists
          2120 N. Davidson St., #217
          Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
          704 / 372-8532
          scan_editor_brg@...

          -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

          Karen:

          I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

          Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

        • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2008
            Sam,
            Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
            Thanks for the offer, though.
            ben
            --

            ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

          • Joe Franke
            Message 5 of 15 , May 27, 2008
              New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
              I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

              Send messages directly to:

              consed@...

              Thanks!

              Joe Franke