Re: [beemonitoring] Fwd: Lithurgus crysuris [3 Attachments]

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2013
      Thanks Anita for making all this happen...great natural history.

      All:

      This species (Lithurgus chrysurus) is not on the radar screen outside of Pennsylvania (and there only slightly).  It is known to still occur in New Jersey, but there are no records for nearby New York, Delaware, or Maryland, though occurrences in all those states would appear to be likely.   Agriculture departments in these areas should be on the look out and because it is known to inhabit firewood, could easily be transported to other states.

      sam

      On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Anita M. Collins <frozenbeedoc@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Anita M. Collins included below]

       Hi folks, Sam asked me to post this to the list.
      We also had a rerun of last years congregation of nests in a firewood pile.  Jerry Rozen was here yesterday to dissect a bunch of new nests for some comparison work with a native Lithurgus.  He got out to see the log home that is infested.  This is all in a small area around Slatington and Palmerton, PA.  But the original finds decades ago were in northern New Jersey.  I expect that there may be more problems, we are just hearing about them because of my presentations at Lehigh Gap Nature Center and our active membership.
      Anita

      Albert Einstein