Re: [beemonitoring] Wally LaBerge

  • Rob J
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
      All,
      Wally was indeed special and helped me tremendously. In the late 1990's Wally sat down with me on countless days and walked through the Andrena keys. I remember him drawing the Andrena imitatrix hind tibia and explaining the pronotal angle like it was yesterday. I truly believe he fostered my lifelong passion for bees - even my children have a piece of Andrena in their names - my daughters middle name and my son's name is Carlin. I feel very lucky to have met and spent time with such a master of bees. He was also a great champion for Habitat for Humanity - a truly caring person. Andrena will always be my favorite genus of bees (Melissodes are great too of course).
      Rob Jean

      Robert Jean
      Assistant Professor of Ecology
      Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College

      On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:58 PM, "elaineceleste" <fuzzybumblebee@...> wrote:

      Sad news to share. Bee expert Wally LaBerge passed away last night.
      I didn't get a chance to meet him until recently, after he was in the throws of dementia, but he was still super enthusiastic about bees and a joy to talk with.
      He will be missed greatly.

      In the small world ways of the world, I happen to be neighbors with one of his nephews. They loved their Uncle Wally so much that they named their first born son after him. My neighbor just shared the news with me.

      -Elaine

    • elaineceleste
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013