Wally LaBerge

  • elaineceleste
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
      Sad news to share. Bee expert Wally LaBerge passed away last night.
      I didn't get a chance to meet him until recently, after he was in the throws of dementia, but he was still super enthusiastic about bees and a joy to talk with.
      He will be missed greatly.

      In the small world ways of the world, I happen to be neighbors with one of his nephews. They loved their Uncle Wally so much that they named their first born son after him. My neighbor just shared the news with me.

      -Elaine
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
        On 7/22/13 10:58 AM, elaineceleste wrote:

        Sad news to share. Bee expert Wally LaBerge passed away last night.
        I didn't get a chance to meet him until recently, after he was in the throws of dementia, but he was still super enthusiastic about bees and a joy to talk with.
        He will be missed greatly.

        Very sad news. I worked under Wally as a postdoc for several years, and even stayed with him and Betty for about a month when I was apartment-hunting there in Champaign. An extremely nice guy, not so much outgoing but very personable, and although I knew him fairly late in his career (I think he produced only two publications after I met him, before he stopped altogether), still a guy who knew his bees. I do hope that some effort will be made to ensure that his personal copies of his papers will be passed along to someone who can genuinely use them; the margins of his species keys, especially, were packed with hand-written additions and corrections that would be immensely valuable to anyone who attempts to do future revisionary work with Andrena or Melissodes. I, and maybe others, would also be interested if there are any plans for funds, memorials, or other things which might be soliciting donations or testimonials.

        Peace,
      • Rob J
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
          All,
          Wally was indeed special and helped me tremendously. In the late 1990's Wally sat down with me on countless days and walked through the Andrena keys. I remember him drawing the Andrena imitatrix hind tibia and explaining the pronotal angle like it was yesterday. I truly believe he fostered my lifelong passion for bees - even my children have a piece of Andrena in their names - my daughters middle name and my son's name is Carlin. I feel very lucky to have met and spent time with such a master of bees. He was also a great champion for Habitat for Humanity - a truly caring person. Andrena will always be my favorite genus of bees (Melissodes are great too of course).
          Rob Jean

          Robert Jean
          Assistant Professor of Ecology
          Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College