RE: [beemonitoring] Boy bees?

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2013

      Peter and others- there are generally more male than female bees produced by every non-social bee species, and seasonal pulses of males among the primitively social species (like Bombus and Halictus).  We have shown that male squash bees are important pollinators of Cucurbita, perhaps more so than females because they visit flowers all during the early morning hunting for females.  Their’s is probably an exceptional case, certainly for agriculture.  Males of the alkali bee are adept alfalfa pollinators (ditto alfalfa leaf cutting bee males) but, since they are not provisioning a nest and don’t land much, they only visit flowers to sup nectar as needed, so their visitation frequency is way less than the female’s, and that is the general case for male bees, I believe, but the exceptions will prove interesting.  I can post reprints if that is wanted.

      Right now at my home, male Halictus abound at flowers of fernbush (Chamaebatyaria [sp?]), a flower very like the wild strawberry you mention.

      Jim

      James H. Cane

      USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Unit

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/