New - Guide to U.S. and Canadian Bees of the Genus Perdita

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006

      Announcing the

      Guide to the Identification of the U.S. and Canadian Bees in the Genus Perdita

      East of the Mississippi River

      Rebekah Nelson and Sam Droege

      (With plenty of help from many museum collections and bee researchers throughout North America)

      Perdita males:

      http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_male

      Perdita females:

      http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_female

      More species specific text, pictures and illustrations will be added later.

      Questions and suggestions always welcome.

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The Plover and the Clover can be told
           apart with ease,
      By paying close attention to the
           habits of the Bees,
      For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
           can be in clover,
      While ety-molo-gists concur, there
           is no B in Plover.

         -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover

    • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        Was just looking at your Perdita key (way cool!) and also noted that this
        page: (where one is introduced to the bees):

        http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?act=x_ant&name=Apoidea&path=Insecta/Hymenoptera/Apoidea&common_name=Bees&xml=Agapostemon;Apoidea_genera;Augochlora;Augochlorella;Augochloropsis;Bee_genera_KSEM;Bumblebees;Green_bees;Groups_Insecta;North_American_Invasives;&btx

        includes a link to Dasypodidae (armadillos). Is there something I'm
        missing? Thought you might want to fix that....

        Jerry
        __________________________
        Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
        Research & Monitoring Coordinator
        Olympic National Park
        600 E. Park Ave.
        Port Angeles, WA 98362

        Phone: 360-565-3082
        Fax: 360-565-3070
        Cell: 360-477-3338
        Jerry_Freilich@...

        "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
        there are many such places..."
        Edward Abbey
        ___________________________

        Sam Droege
        <sdroege@...> To: apoidea@..., VA-MD-DE-Bugs@yahoogroups.com, pollinator@...,
        Sent by: ENTOMO-L@..., beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        beemonitoring@yaho cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
        ogroups.com Subject: [beemonitoring] New - Guide to U.S. and Canadian Bees of the Genus Perdita

        12/11/2006 03:20
        PM EST
        Please respond to
        beemonitoring

        Announcing the

        Guide to the Identification of the U.S. and Canadian Bees in the Genus
        Perdita

        East of the Mississippi River

        Rebekah Nelson and Sam Droege

        (With plenty of help from many museum collections and bee researchers
        throughout North America)

        Perdita males:

        http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_male

        Perdita females:

        http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Perdita_female

        More species specific text, pictures and illustrations will be added later.

        Questions and suggestions always welcome.

        Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
        Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2006
          Dear Sam,

          heard a good talk by your student, with Dewey, on the traps in various parts of the Delmarva.  Also one by the lady working with Bill Stevens in Oregon.  They seem to have good results, but the trap is expensive.

          Could you resend the information you sent me while I was visiting?  I haven't used my personal e-mail for work before, and find that it deletes the messges quickly, unlike the ARS site.  So I lost those two.  We were especially interested in the light source for microscopes.  And I want to enroll in the spring ID course.

          I've a call in to Keith Bildstein at Hawk Mt, but nothing set up yet.

          I am really psyched about getting this survey/monitoring rolling.  I've wanted to do more with native bees in this area for some time.  So thanks so much for your mentoring.

          Sincerely,
          Anita