RE: [beemonitoring]

  • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2013
      Okay, so a lot of folks have asked for the info but I don't have a photo just yet.

      There are two of us here in Victoria, BC Canada that are monitoring native bees, Dave Blades formally of the Royal BC Museum, and myself, a former contract entomologist so if it's a photo you want to just make sure, I asure  you this specimen plus the other two that I saw fly off, were infact B. occidentalis. I put the dessicated specimen in a jar with a bit of moisture and deposited to my friend Dave for him to relax and pin out as I was visiting the place where I found these bees and don't have my stuff handy. They were all trapped in between the folds of large yellow plastic bags used for storing asbestos tiles which I am arranging to take to our local landfill to be buried. This tile removal has been an ongoing project I've been involved in for over a month and now I am starting to take to the dump. I heard buzzing of trapped insect(s) in the bag and so I investigated a little further. I saw two groggy B. occidentalis crawl out of the top folds in the bag and then fly away and then I saw a dead Anthidium manicatum, a dead B. melanopygus (yellow phase?) and another dead B. occidentalis. I collected all and left with Dave as I said.

      The exact location is basically in the heart of Victoria in a neighbourhood called Fernwood which is a typical urban environment with no forested areas nearby really. I can find it on google.earth but can't figure out how to get UTM or Lat/Long.

      Bear with me and I'll endeavour to get a photo for those that want but really, I don't think it necessary - we all know what this species looks like. It's just more important for me to have finally seen one of these species after about 5-7 years absence here in Victoria. What we are seeing is a plethora of B. vosnesenskii more than ever and also what appears to be a longer flight period.

      Eventually I will add these specimens to my already thousands of yet unidentified native bees from B.C. and Yukon for further work.

      Cheers,

      Gord Hutchings