RE: [beemonitoring] Honey adulterants and sugar chromatography

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5 2:15 PM

      Joe- if the adulterant is corn syrup, my recollection is that the sugar maltose will be present, which is not found in nectars to any appreciable extent.    I had worked with sugar chemistry some for one project on solitary bee provisions, but Gillian Eggleston with USDA-ARS in Louisiana  was my masterful guide into the sample prep and chromatography, as there are a number of pitfalls.  Perhaps she could be of help if you wish to pursue it.  Here is an article about her:

      http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/may11/sugarcane0511.pdf

      Jim

      James H. Cane

      USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Unit

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/