Re: [beemonitoring] Honey adulterants

  • Joe Franke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2013
      Re: [beemonitoring] Honey adulterants Just to clarify: this is not meliponine honey. It is honeybee honey, or that’s what it’s being sold as...whatever it is.

      On 7/5/13 9:52 AM, "Alicia Basilio" <apis1b@...> wrote:

      Hi.
      Melipondos honey is more moist and liquid than of Apis mellifera honey. Also more acidic, naturally fermented. In some cases, if the harvest technique is not refined, pheromones of bees, which are strong and noticeable in some species, smell honey.
      The methylene glycol is toxic. The propilen glycol was used for a long time to pediatric cough syrups. Its taste is very strong and unpleasant. I do not think that honey is mixed with it.
      One possibility is syrup. The easiest way to see this honey adulteration is to analyze dextrins alien to honey ones in a food science lab.
      You may contac to Patricia Vit en Venezuela, she is expert in melipone honey.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2013

        Joe- if the adulterant is corn syrup, my recollection is that the sugar maltose will be present, which is not found in nectars to any appreciable extent.    I had worked with sugar chemistry some for one project on solitary bee provisions, but Gillian Eggleston with USDA-ARS in Louisiana  was my masterful guide into the sample prep and chromatography, as there are a number of pitfalls.  Perhaps she could be of help if you wish to pursue it.  Here is an article about her:

        http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/may11/sugarcane0511.pdf

        Jim

        James H. Cane

        USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Unit

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/