Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

  • Karen Wetherill
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
      Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
      But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

    • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
        Sam,
        Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
        ben
        --
        Ben Gregory, Secretary
        South Carolina Association of

        -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

        Karen:

        I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

        sam

        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
        Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

        The Cow
        The friendly cow all red and white,
            I love with all my heart:
        She gives me cream with all her might,
            To eat with apple-tart.
        She wanders lowing here and there,
            And yet she cannot stray,
        All in the pleasant open air,
            The pleasant light of day;
        And blown by all the winds that pass
         &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,
        She walks among the meadow grass
            And eats the meadow flowers.
           - Robert Louis Stevenson

        Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>
        Sent by: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

        04/23/2008 04:50 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

        beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com
        cc
        Subject

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

          Ben and Others:

          Just to clarify.

          I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

          To the Fringed Gentian

          Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
          And colored with the heaven's own blue,
          that openest when the quiet light
          Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

          Thou comest not when violets lean
          O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
          Or columbines, in purple dressed,
          Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

          Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
          When woods are bare and birds are flown,
          and frosts and shortening days portend
          The aged year is near his end.

          Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
          Look through its fringes to the sky,
          Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
          A flower from its cerulean wall.

          I would that thus, when I shall see
          the hour of death draw near to me,
          Hope, blossoming within my heart,
          May look to heaven as I depart.
               -William Cullen Bryant

          scan_editor_brg@...
          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          04/29/2008 09:22 PM

          Please respond to
[...]

        • Neil Cobb
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
            Sam,

            I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

            Thanks,
            Neil

            Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
            > She walks among the meadow grass
            > And eats the meadow flowers.
            > - Robert Louis Stevenson
            >

            > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
            > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
            > Please respond to
            > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            > cc
            >
            > Subject
            > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
            >

            > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
            > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
            > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
            > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
            > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
            > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

            Neil S. Cobb, Director
            Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
            Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
            Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
            http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

            Neil S. Cobb, Curator
            Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
            Department of Biological Sciences,
            Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
            http://bugs.nau.edu

            Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
            Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
            Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
            http://www.grail.nau.edu/

            Neil.Cobb@...
            (Home Office) 928-214-6237
            (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
            (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
            Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
          • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

              May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

              Barb

              Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

              Associate Professor

              Department of Biological Sciences

              Hampton University

              Hampton, VA   23668

              757-727-5283

              barbara.abraham@...

              Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

              ben

              --
              Ben Gregory, Secretary
              South Carolina Association of
              Naturalists
              2120 N. Davidson St., #217
              Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
              704 / 372-8532
              scan_editor_brg@...

              -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

              Karen:

              I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
              BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                Sam,
                Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                Thanks for the offer, though.
                ben
                --

                ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

              • Joe Franke
                Message 7 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                  New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                  I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                  Send messages directly to:

                  consed@...

                  Thanks!

                  Joe Franke