Re: Ultrabreeze bee suits for sale to benefit meliponiculture project

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Claus Rasmussen <alrunen@...> wrote:

      > For work with stingless bees and meliponiculture my best suit includes a pair of sandals and cotton to plug my ears. While some species will bite it is only a few species not utilized for bee-keeping that needs a full suit (such as Trigona, Ptilotrigona and Oxytrigona).

      I worked honey bees for years, and never had a bee suit. I did almost all my work in tan Dickie britches, sandals, and a white T-shirt, with veil usually, but that often came off in hot weather.

      I carried a pair of white coveralls in teh truck, that I only used in rare instances. Once in awhile, when moving bees for pollination, or on a rainy day, when you had to work anyway, they'd get a little too feisty for my normal outfit.

      I let new help wear gloves for a week, then they went behind the seat in the truck for emergencies. You'll never be a good beekeeper if you wear gloves. There is art as well as science in this kind of husbandry, and you need to get the feel of it.

      I don't think much of beekeepers that bundle up like spacemen. It's OK for beginners, I guess, but they aren't real beekeepers until they get over it.

      Dave Green
      Retired pollination contractor
      Coastal SC