Ultrabreeze bee suits for sale to benefit meliponiculture project

  • Joe Franke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2013
      Ultrabreeze bee suits for sale to benefit meliponiculture project Hi all,

      Sam cleared this message. He said it was ok because it is for a good cause and there are plenty of beekeepers on the listserv...

      We’re two new Ultrabreeze bee suits to benefit a project to revive traditional meliponiculture (stingless bee keeping) in Belize. Sizes are medium and extra large.

      Also have an extra large that will go for $225.

      If you’re not familiar with these, they’re the perfect suit for hot climates. I’ve used them around Africanized bees in Belize and can attest to their utility.

      You can check the Ultrabreeze website for sizing info.

      Thanks!

      Joe Franke
      Sapogordoeco@...

    • Claus Rasmussen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
        For work with stingless bees and meliponiculture my best suit includes a pair of sandals and cotton to plug my ears. While some species will bite it is only a few species not utilized for bee-keeping that needs a full suit (such as Trigona, Ptilotrigona and Oxytrigona).

        Best, Claus
      • pollinator2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
          --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Claus Rasmussen <alrunen@...> wrote:

          > For work with stingless bees and meliponiculture my best suit includes a pair of sandals and cotton to plug my ears. While some species will bite it is only a few species not utilized for bee-keeping that needs a full suit (such as Trigona, Ptilotrigona and Oxytrigona).

          I worked honey bees for years, and never had a bee suit. I did almost all my work in tan Dickie britches, sandals, and a white T-shirt, with veil usually, but that often came off in hot weather.

          I carried a pair of white coveralls in teh truck, that I only used in rare instances. Once in awhile, when moving bees for pollination, or on a rainy day, when you had to work anyway, they'd get a little too feisty for my normal outfit.

          I let new help wear gloves for a week, then they went behind the seat in the truck for emergencies. You'll never be a good beekeeper if you wear gloves. There is art as well as science in this kind of husbandry, and you need to get the feel of it.

          I don't think much of beekeepers that bundle up like spacemen. It's OK for beginners, I guess, but they aren't real beekeepers until they get over it.

          Dave Green
          Retired pollination contractor
          Coastal SC