Summary of Responses for Suggestions on Fluorescent Paints

  • colin.phifer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26 8:11 AM
      Hi everyone,

      First, thank you all for sending me your suggestions and ideas. I heard from almost 20 folks so I appreciate the time and effort. Below is a quick summary of the major recommendations:

      1) Many folks suggested the Ace GloSpray Flourescent paints, apparently made by Krylon. I finally found an Ace in northern WI that had these and the price was $6.99. Both blue and yellow were available.

      2) Walmart was also suggested as a good place to buy the paints (though my local one doesn't carry the right ones).

      3) Many suggested purchasing the pigments directly from Guerra Paints (www.guerrapaint.com). and following the suggested formula in the Bee Manual.

      4) Several folks suggested purchasing pre-painted bowls from New Horizon (http://www.nhssi.org/). This is a job training non-profit that works with people with disabilities and they can provide painted bowls using the paint formula listed in the Handy Bee Manual. Rates are $0.05 for unpainted bowls and $0.19 for painted bowls. Contact Cynthia Swift-King at cking@... to place an order.

      5) BioQuip sells fluorescent paints as wel and could be another source for folks.

      I'll email folks separately who had other questions or wanted to talk more. Thanks again, bee peeps!
      Cheers,
      Colin

      PS - Thought this was funny: when searching for the solo souffle cups on Amazon, the website suggested I also purchase Dawn dish soap and small aquarium net!

      Colin Phifer, PhD Student
      School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science
      Michigan Tech University
      1400 Townsend Drive
      Houghton, MI 49931-1295
      Phone: (808)-315-2830