Fwd: Fwd: FW: [beemonitoring] Re: Call for Melissodes

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2013
      Posted for momentarily offline participants... sam

      ---
      Thanks Sam,

      Here is my reply to her FYI (and you are welcome to post if you wish)

      Dear Ms. Crumbling:
      Yes, you may quote me. I’m David L. Green of Hemingway, South Carolina. I am a retired pollination contractor. I’ve had many occasions where I’ve seen poisoned bees; some of which I’ve reported to Clemson Pesiticde Control. But they are extremely reluctant to do anything about the violations. One time I even observed (and reported) a violation in progress at the Clemson Pee Dee Research Station. They did nothing about it, except to file a bunch of paperwork.

      I made a photo documentation of a cotton application a few years back. This is posted at: http://gardenbees.com/cotton%20spray/cottonspray.htm

      I also codified bee protection directions into a flow chart at: http://gardenbees.com/cotton%20spray/flowchart.htm

      I have offered to provide and help train applicators and cotton scouts with monitor beehives to help them determine the hours when honey bees are foraging on cotton. The color of cotton pollen is unique and it is very easy to determine (simply by pulling up to the hives within a closed vehicle and observing the returning bees) exactly when they are bringing home cotton pollen. (I can no longer make this offer, since I am now retired.)

      Since my retirement, I’ve been studying native bees and pollination in my garden endeavors. I’ve also helped collect for Sam Droege’s program, when I travel. Native bees, with no human help to recover from pesticide damage, no doubt suffer much worse than honey bees. So honey bees are an indicator, of what is happening to more vulnerable species. And advice from Extension sources, that tell applicators that they can evade label directions by notifying beekeepers, offer no protection to other bee species. Such advice is also a “recommendation of pesticide misuse.”

      David L. Green

      Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:48 AM
      Subject: Fwd: FW: [beemonitoring] Re: Call for Melissodes

      Dave....just forwarding

      On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Crumbling, Deana <Crumbling.Deana@...> wrote:

      Hi Sam,

      I’ve been trying to post this to the yahoo list serve, and as usual, I can’t get it to work. If you know who “Dave, in coastal SC” is, could you send it to him directly? If not, post to the list serve at large?

      Thanks, Deana