Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008

      Karen:

      I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The Cow
      The friendly cow all red and white,
          I love with all my heart:
      She gives me cream with all her might,
          To eat with apple-tart.
      She wanders lowing here and there,
          And yet she cannot stray,
      All in the pleasant open air,
          The pleasant light of day;
      And blown by all the winds that pass
          And wet with all the showers,
      She walks among the meadow grass
          And eats the meadow flowers.
         - Robert Louis Stevenson

      Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      04/23/2008 04:50 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

      I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
      several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
      primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
      this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
      I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
      accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
      Karen

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
        Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
        project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
        source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
        to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
        about everything. Most revisions have data on
        phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
        be the best place to start although as you know, many
        western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
        on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
        Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
        and for many species very little is known of any
        aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
        Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
        phenology and host data for several thousand
        California bees but again the overlap with your area
        is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
        send you what I have for phenology and host records
        for those species I have data for.

        best

        Jack

        --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
        > and phenology for
        > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
        > dredge through the
        > primary literature, but not making much progress.
        > Is there a method in
        > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
        > when the adults are out.
        > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
        > I want to start
        > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
        > sci-search? Thanks,
        > Karen

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Karen Wetherill
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
          Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
          But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

        • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
            Sam,
            Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
            ben
            --
            Ben Gregory, Secretary
            South Carolina Association of

            -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

            Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
            Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

            The Cow
            The friendly cow all red and white,
                I love with all my heart:
            She gives me cream with all her might,
                To eat with apple-tart.
            She wanders lowing here and there,
                And yet she cannot stray,
            All in the pleasant open air,
                The pleasant light of day;
            And blown by all the winds that pass
             &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

            Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

              Ben and Others:

              Just to clarify.

              I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              To the Fringed Gentian

              Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
              And colored with the heaven's own blue,
              that openest when the quiet light
              Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

              Thou comest not when violets lean
              O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
              Or columbines, in purple dressed,
              Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

              Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
              When woods are bare and birds are flown,
              and frosts and shortening days portend
              The aged year is near his end.

              Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
              Look through its fringes to the sky,
              Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
              A flower from its cerulean wall.

              I would that thus, when I shall see
              the hour of death draw near to me,
              Hope, blossoming within my heart,
              May look to heaven as I depart.
                   -William Cullen Bryant

              scan_editor_brg@...
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              04/29/2008 09:22 PM

              Please respond to
[...]

            • Neil Cobb
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                Sam,

                I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                Thanks,
                Neil

                Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                > She walks among the meadow grass
                > And eats the meadow flowers.
                > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                >

                > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                > Please respond to
                > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                > cc
                >
                > Subject
                > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                >

                > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                Neil S. Cobb, Director
                Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                Department of Biological Sciences,
                Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                http://bugs.nau.edu

                Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                Neil.Cobb@...
                (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
              • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                  May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                  Barb

                  Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                  Associate Professor

                  Department of Biological Sciences

                  Hampton University

                  Hampton, VA   23668

                  757-727-5283

                  barbara.abraham@...

                  Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

                  ben

                  --
                  Ben Gregory, Secretary
                  South Carolina Association of
                  Naturalists
                  2120 N. Davidson St., #217
                  Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
                  704 / 372-8532
                  scan_editor_brg@...

                  -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                  Karen:

                  I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                  sam

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                  BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                    Sam,
                    Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                    Thanks for the offer, though.
                    ben
                    --

                    ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                  • Joe Franke
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                      New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                      I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                      Send messages directly to:

                      consed@...

                      Thanks!

                      Joe Franke