Call for Melissodes

  • Karen W. Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I am in need of female Melissodes specimens for DNA and pollen work.

      I am looking for specimens collected in the past 6 or 7 years (the more
      recent, the better). Specimens that are net collected are ideal, as both
      the DNA and pollen loads are preserved. I am willing to perform
      identifications in exchange for retaining a few specimens of each species
      for my research.

      I am not interested in males or specimens that have been in water or 70%
      ethanol for more than a few hours (propylene glycol and 95% EtOH are
      acceptable). I do not need M. tristis or agilis. South American
      specimens are exceptionally valuable. Non-Melissodes eucerines are also
      welcome, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to identify them to
      species. I will only take specimens that are properly pinned and labeled
      and if you have a spreadsheet with the data recorded, I can deliver the
      identifications faster, but this is not necessary.

      If anyone has specimens that fit the above criteria please contact me and
      I will do my best to work with your timelines for identifications.

      Thank you all in advance, Karen Wright

      PS. I am a PhD candidate at the University of New Mexico working on the
      evolution of diet breadth in Melissodes.
    • pollinator2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
        --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Karen W. Wright" <karen@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am in need of female Melissodes specimens for DNA and pollen work.

        I will send you some, if they ever show up. Echinacea is in full bloom, and only getting a few honey bees and very few B. impatiens.

        Up until two years ago, these blossoms would be covered with mainly Melissodes and bumble bees, often 2-3 per flower. Now bees are sparse, and Melissodes is so far absent.

        Two years ago, a nearby cotton field was sprayed in early August. Overnight we lost about 90% of the impatiens that were visiting, 100% of the B. pensylvanicus, 100% of the squash bees, and 95% of the Melissodes bees.

        Last year impatiens did recover a bit, but squash bees and pensylvanicus remained completely absent and Melissodes were very sparse. This spring I have had NO squash bees in my squash; two years ago I was getting 2-4 in each blossom in early morning checks.

        We have got to get proactive on these applications. The label directions to protect bees are routinely ignored when cotton is sprayed, and bees die by the billions in those fields every year.

        Dave
        Coastal SC