Re: How does buzz pollination work

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2013
      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "PouleP" <googlhen@...> wrote:

      > 1) Now if one played the Middle Note C with e.g. powerful disco loudspeakers
      > that makes everything resonate / vibrate, and from all sides of a field of
      > tomatoes, would that cause pollination of the field?
      > 2) Has anyone ever done such an experiment?

      I have a friend who claims that his neighbor's party music pollinates his tomatoes very well. Heehee.

      Dave
    • The Kuder Family
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2013

        Mythbusters did a fun experiment to see if talking and music effect the growth of plants. They concluded, it’s ‘plausible.’ I think the greenhouse that played “intense death heavy metal” nonstop had the best results whereas the control group (no sound) fared the worst. While the study design/analysis may be lacking in some respects, it was a memorable episode :0)

        http://mythbustersresults.com/episode23

        Lisa Kuder