bee natural history data

  • Karen Wetherill
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
      I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
      several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
      primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
      this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
      I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
      accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
      Karen
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008

        Karen:

        I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

        sam

        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

        The Cow
        The friendly cow all red and white,
            I love with all my heart:
        She gives me cream with all her might,
            To eat with apple-tart.
        She wanders lowing here and there,
            And yet she cannot stray,
        All in the pleasant open air,
            The pleasant light of day;
        And blown by all the winds that pass
            And wet with all the showers,
        She walks among the meadow grass
            And eats the meadow flowers.
           - Robert Louis Stevenson

        Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        04/23/2008 04:50 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

        I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
        several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
        primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
        this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
        I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
        accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
        Karen

      • Jack Neff
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
          Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
          project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
          source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
          to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
          about everything. Most revisions have data on
          phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
          be the best place to start although as you know, many
          western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
          on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
          Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
          and for many species very little is known of any
          aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
          Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
          phenology and host data for several thousand
          California bees but again the overlap with your area
          is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
          send you what I have for phenology and host records
          for those species I have data for.

          best

          Jack

          --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
          > and phenology for
          > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
          > dredge through the
          > primary literature, but not making much progress.
          > Is there a method in
          > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
          > when the adults are out.
          > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
          > I want to start
          > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
          > sci-search? Thanks,
          > Karen

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Karen Wetherill
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
            Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
            But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

          • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
              Sam,
              Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
              ben
              --
              Ben Gregory, Secretary
              South Carolina Association of

              -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
              Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

              The Cow
              The friendly cow all red and white,
                  I love with all my heart:
              She gives me cream with all her might,
                  To eat with apple-tart.
              She wanders lowing here and there,
                  And yet she cannot stray,
              All in the pleasant open air,
                  The pleasant light of day;
              And blown by all the winds that pass
               &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

              Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                Ben and Others:

                Just to clarify.

                I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

                sam

                Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                To the Fringed Gentian

                Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
                And colored with the heaven's own blue,
                that openest when the quiet light
                Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

                Thou comest not when violets lean
                O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
                Or columbines, in purple dressed,
                Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

                Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
                When woods are bare and birds are flown,
                and frosts and shortening days portend
                The aged year is near his end.

                Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
                Look through its fringes to the sky,
                Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
                A flower from its cerulean wall.

                I would that thus, when I shall see
                the hour of death draw near to me,
                Hope, blossoming within my heart,
                May look to heaven as I depart.
                     -William Cullen Bryant

                scan_editor_brg@...
                Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                04/29/2008 09:22 PM

                Please respond to
                beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                cc
                Subject
                Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

              • Neil Cobb
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                  Sam,

                  I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                  Thanks,
                  Neil

                  Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                  > She walks among the meadow grass
                  > And eats the meadow flowers.
                  > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                  >

                  > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                  > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                  > Please respond to
                  > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  > cc
                  >
                  > Subject
                  > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                  >

                  > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                  > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                  > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                  > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                  > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                  > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                  Neil S. Cobb, Director
                  Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                  Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                  Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                  http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                  Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                  Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                  Department of Biological Sciences,
                  Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                  http://bugs.nau.edu

                  Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                  Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                  Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                  http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                  Neil.Cobb@...
                  (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                  (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                  (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                  Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
                • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                    May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                    Barb

                    Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                    Associate Professor

                    Department of Biological Sciences

                    Hampton University

                    Hampton, VA   23668

                    757-727-5283

                    barbara.abraham@...

                    Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

                    ben

                    --
                    Ben Gregory, Secretary
                    South Carolina Association of
                    Naturalists
                    2120 N. Davidson St., #217
                    Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
                    704 / 372-8532
                    scan_editor_brg@...

                    -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                    Karen:

                    I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                    sam

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                    BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                      Sam,
                      Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                      Thanks for the offer, though.
                      ben
                      --

                      ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                    • Joe Franke
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                        New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                        I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                        Send messages directly to:

                        consed@...

                        Thanks!

                        Joe Franke