Re: [beemonitoring] Suggestions on Fluorescent Paints?

  • Daniel Brickley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
      Hi Colin,

      I'm a new graduate student at Michigan State University, and I'm currently sampling bees using bee bowls in South Carolina. The blue (http://goo.gl/cegyK) and yellow (http://goo.gl/Ig2ld) flourescent pigments mixed with the silica flat from Guerra Paint and Pigment (their website is terrible, you need to call to order) seem to be working well. Additionally, I spoke with bee expert Sam Droege (see his manual here: http://goo.gl/9WAlP) who has used them all throughout the eastern US and recommended them.

      Best of luck,

      Daniel Brickley
      .

      On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Colin Phifer <ccphifer@...> wrote:

      Greetings everyone,

      This is my first post to the group. I'm a new PhD student at Michigan Tech University. As part of my project I am sampling for bees in northern WI, and in later years in Latin America. I am trying to find fluorescent paints for making blue and yellow bee bowls. I cannot find the Krylon paints that are often suggested, especially the blue color. Does anyone have a reliable source for these paints or can suggest other brands? Do you recommend mixing your own paint? I've seen a few other brands that say "fluorescent" but I'm not sure if they just mean bright colors.

      I appreciate the wisdom and expertise of this group!

      Much obliged,
      Colin

      Colin Phifer, PhD Student
      School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science
      Michigan Tech University
      1400 Townsend Drive
      Houghton, MI 49931-1295
      Phone: (808)-315-2830