Suggestions on Fluorescent Paints?

  • Colin Phifer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
      Greetings everyone,

      This is my first post to the group. I'm a new PhD student at Michigan Tech University. As part of my project I am sampling for bees in northern WI, and in later years in Latin America. I am trying to find fluorescent paints for making blue and yellow bee bowls. I cannot find the Krylon paints that are often suggested, especially the blue color. Does anyone have a reliable source for these paints or can suggest other brands? Do you recommend mixing your own paint? I've seen a few other brands that say "fluorescent" but I'm not sure if they just mean bright colors.

      I appreciate the wisdom and expertise of this group!

      Much obliged,
      Colin

      Colin Phifer, PhD Student
      School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science
      Michigan Tech University
      1400 Townsend Drive
      Houghton, MI 49931-1295
      Phone: (808)-315-2830
      Email: ccphifer@...

    • askartie@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
        Hi Colin,

        BioQuip Products (www.bioquip.com) has "luminous" paints in their catalog that glow under UV light - is this what you are looking for?  See their catalog #1162 or #1166, available in blue, red, white, and yellow.  Good luck with your project.

        Mike

        Michael J. Weissmann, Ph.D., Entomologist
        Kallima Consultants, Inc.
        P.O. Box 33084
        Northglenn, CO 80233-0084 USA
        Phone: 720-872-6262
        E-mail:
        AskArtie@...
        Visit our website at
        http://kallimaconsultants.squarespace.com/consulting/

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
          Hi Colin,

          I'm a new graduate student at Michigan State University, and I'm currently sampling bees using bee bowls in South Carolina. The blue (http://goo.gl/cegyK) and yellow (http://goo.gl/Ig2ld) flourescent pigments mixed with the silica flat from Guerra Paint and Pigment (their website is terrible, you need to call to order) seem to be working well. Additionally, I spoke with bee expert Sam Droege (see his manual here: http://goo.gl/9WAlP) who has used them all throughout the eastern US and recommended them.

          Best of luck,

          Daniel Brickley
          .