Re: [beemonitoring] Keying out bee species

  • Robinson Wainwright Sudan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
      I agree that DiscoverLife is a great way to go.  If I'm not mistaken, Mitchell's Bees of The East is the source for most of the bees you're going to get in DE.  Also, Sam Droege in MD isn't far from you.  If he has the time, he is an excellent man to turn to for help, particularly with DiscoverLife.

      Wish ya luck!
      Robinson Sudan

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:31 PM, "David Gardner" <dgardner@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I have a collection of native bees that are in dire need of keying out down to species. I have attempted to utilize DiscoverLife but I haven't found much help with it. What kind of resources have people found to be particularly useful? The collection is part of my master's thesis on abundance, diversity, and pollination efforts of native bees in urban forest fragments.  Thank you for your time!

      Best,

      David Gardner

      --
      David Gardner
      M. S. Candidate

    • FLECKENSTEIN, JOHN (DNR)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013

        David,

        I assume you’ve looked in your own department? Looks like there is some Apis expertise there. Do they work with other species? If there is an agricultural extension office in the area, you might contact them. I’ve found that people with a broad range of professional and personal expertise lurk in the extension.

        John Fleckenstein, zoologist

        Natural Heritage Program

        Department of Natural Resources

        360-902-1674

        John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013

          Hi David,

          Is Faith Kuehn still at the Delaware Dept. of Agriculture?  She did a lot of work with native bees a few years ago, and could probably direct you to local resources.  A local reference collection is really important.

          Here is some of Faith’s work in Delaware: http://dda.delaware.gov/publications/plant_industries/Bee%20Guide_07.pdf

          Kim Stoner

          John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov