Keying out bee species

  • David Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
      Hello all,

      I have a collection of native bees that are in dire need of keying out down to species. I have attempted to utilize DiscoverLife but I haven't found much help with it. What kind of resources have people found to be particularly useful? The collection is part of my master's thesis on abundance, diversity, and pollination efforts of native bees in urban forest fragments.  Thank you for your time!

      Best,

      David Gardner

      --
      David Gardner
      M. S. Candidate
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
        Dear David,

        Discover LIfe is an excellent way to go, and as you become more familiar with it, you will gain confidence. However, there is no substitute for an expert's determination.

        How many specimens are you talking about? Is it possible to do a cogent analysis with bees in broad groups, or genera?

        I  suggest that you will want to get the very best determinations you can for your thesis. While some bees are easy to identify, others are definitely not. If you can get a expert to help you, that will make your study much more meaningful.

        Wishing you best of luck with your study,

        Alison C. .Dibble

        On 6/3/2013 1:31 PM, David Gardner wrote:

        Hello all,

        I have a collection of native bees that are in dire need of keying out down to species. I have attempted to utilize DiscoverLife but I haven't found much help with it. What kind of resources have people found to be particularly useful? The collection is part of my master's thesis on abundance, diversity, and pollination efforts of native bees in urban forest fragments.  Thank you for your time!

        Best,

        David Gardner

        --
        David Gardner
        M. S. Candidate
        Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
        University of Delaware

      • John Mola
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
          David,

          Do you have access to "Bees of the World" by Michener? I realize this only goes to genus, but I'm not certain if you're already at that point yet or not. If not, that would be a great starting place. If so, then I'm at a loss as genus has usually sufficed for myself.

          Best of luck,

          John

          On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Alison Dibble <adibble2@...> wrote:

[...]

          JohnMMola@...

        • Robinson Wainwright Sudan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
            I agree that DiscoverLife is a great way to go.  If I'm not mistaken, Mitchell's Bees of The East is the source for most of the bees you're going to get in DE.  Also, Sam Droege in MD isn't far from you.  If he has the time, he is an excellent man to turn to for help, particularly with DiscoverLife.

            Wish ya luck!
            Robinson Sudan

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:31 PM, "David Gardner" <dgardner@...> wrote:

            Hello all,

            I have a collection of native bees that are in dire need of keying out down to species. I have attempted to utilize DiscoverLife but I haven't found much help with it. What kind of resources have people found to be particularly useful? The collection is part of my master's thesis on abundance, diversity, and pollination efforts of native bees in urban forest fragments.  Thank you for your time!

            Best,

            David Gardner

            --
            David Gardner
            M. S. Candidate
            Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
            University of Delaware

          • FLECKENSTEIN, JOHN (DNR)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013

              David,

              I assume you’ve looked in your own department? Looks like there is some Apis expertise there. Do they work with other species? If there is an agricultural extension office in the area, you might contact them. I’ve found that people with a broad range of professional and personal expertise lurk in the extension.

              John Fleckenstein, zoologist

              Natural Heritage Program

              Department of Natural Resources

              360-902-1674

              John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013

                Hi David,

                Is Faith Kuehn still at the Delaware Dept. of Agriculture?  She did a lot of work with native bees a few years ago, and could probably direct you to local resources.  A local reference collection is really important.

                Here is some of Faith’s work in Delaware: http://dda.delaware.gov/publications/plant_industries/Bee%20Guide_07.pdf

                Kim Stoner

                John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov