Bee observer cards

  • Rykken, Jessica
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2013
      Hi All,

      In collaboration with the Encyclopedia of Life (eol.org), we've developed a set of "Bee Observer Cards" that are intended to teach naturalists, teachers, resource managers and other interested public something about the diverse anatomies, natural history, and behaviors of bees.  The cards are not a guide to taxonomic identification, but more a tool to help people observe the remarkable diversity of body structures, nesting habits etc. when they are out in the field.  They are freely available to anyone as a pdf on the EOL website:

      From there, they are easy to print up as cards or for use on screen devices.  Please take a look, and spread the word!  Thanks.

      Jessica

      Jessica Rykken
      Research Associate
      Museum of Comparative Zoology
      Harvard University
      26 Oxford St.
      Cambridge, MA 02138
      phone:  617-496-1221 or 413-665-0412
      fax:  617-495-5667

    • Rykken, Jessica
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2013
        I also wanted to acknowledge the more than 85 photographers who contributed images to these cards, I'm sure many of them are on this listserve.  Thanks you!

        Jessica

        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2013
          On the page with carpenter bee nest burrows, number 5, the far left
          cell, looks different to me. I wonder if the animal in it is an Anthrax fly.
          Liz