Second note of fewer bees

  • Stephen Lewandowski
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2013
      Last year there was a hive of B. pennsylvanicus ( I think ) under the wood pile next to the garden. Lots of bees on sunflowers, peas, clover red white and other. Let some parsnips go to seed and by coloration they were covered with honeybees from at least 4 hives. This year no bumbles and very few honeybees. We are located in Albuquerque and I don't think anyone has done spraying in the neighborhood.
    • Dave Almquist
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2013
        There are a lot less bees and butterflies here in Tallahassee, FL, at least at my house.  One of my wife's friends noticed the same thing across town, and someone in our neighborhood said that emergence of at least one bee species was out of synch with the flowers that it usually pollinates.  Personally I think that our crazy spring weather of being too warm too early and then too cold to late coupled with it being very dry lately, may have something to do with it.

        To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        From: lewandow@...
        Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:19:02 -0600
        Subject: [beemonitoring] Second note of fewer bees