Re: [beemonitoring] Native bees and wind blown pollen

  • Brian Dykstra
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2013
    Dear Josh Campbell,
    That is a great question.  I know it to be true in a variety of cases with wild grasses.   Dino Martins, Harvard University, Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Alumnus co-published a short paper on the topic (focused on African grass pollen foraging activities of bees).  I have attached the document here, which can also be downloaded at http://harvard.academia.edu/DinoMartins
    with a free account.
    Corn, as a domesticated grass, when blooming, is a popular destination for some bees.  If I recall any other papers I will share them with you Josh.  Best of luck.
    Brian Dykstra

    On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Campbell, Joshua <jcampbel@...> wrote:

    I have been collecting bees within monocultures of grasses over the last couple of years. I had assumed they were primarily there for nesting structure as most of the bees captured are ground nesters (e.g. Lasioglossum, Melissodes, etc.). The grasses I have been surveying are indian grass, little and big bluestem, and bermuda. I found a reference documenting that honeybees will gather and feed on bermuda pollen. I am curious if native bees have been documented gathering grass pollen? If so, references would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks for your time.

    Josh Campbell