Re: [beemonitoring] Online Tutorial on How to Make a Microscope Light from an LED Flashlight

  • Thor Hanson
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17 9:20 AM
      Many thanks for this.  It will be a great improvement on my current method of strapping an LED headlamp to a peanut butter jar!

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17 1:25 PM

        Sam,

        Another idea might be to use wire conduit instead f the solid PVC to make the arm flexible so the light can be moved around easier.  I'll give it a shot.  Like Thor I also used headlamps attached to objects.

        Dave
      • Karen Wetherill
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 23 1:50 PM
          I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
          several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
          primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
          this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
          I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
          accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
          Karen
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 23 3:05 PM

            Karen:

            I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

            sam

            Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

            The Cow
            The friendly cow all red and white,
                I love with all my heart:
            She gives me cream with all her might,
                To eat with apple-tart.
            She wanders lowing here and there,
                And yet she cannot stray,
            All in the pleasant open air,
                The pleasant light of day;
            And blown by all the winds that pass
                And wet with all the showers,
            She walks among the meadow grass
                And eats the meadow flowers.
               - Robert Louis Stevenson

            Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
            Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            04/23/2008 04:50 PM

            Please respond to
            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

            I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
            several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
            primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
            this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
            I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
            accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
            Karen

          • Jack Neff
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 23 4:00 PM
              Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
              project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
              source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
              to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
              about everything. Most revisions have data on
              phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
              be the best place to start although as you know, many
              western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
              on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
              Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
              and for many species very little is known of any
              aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
              Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
              phenology and host data for several thousand
              California bees but again the overlap with your area
              is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
              send you what I have for phenology and host records
              for those species I have data for.

              best

              Jack

              --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

              > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
              > and phenology for
              > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
              > dredge through the
              > primary literature, but not making much progress.
              > Is there a method in
              > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
              > when the adults are out.
              > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
              > I want to start
              > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
              > sci-search? Thanks,
              > Karen

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Karen Wetherill
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24 9:18 AM
                Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
                But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

              • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29 6:22 PM
                  Sam,
                  Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
                  ben
                  --
                  Ben Gregory, Secretary
                  South Carolina Association of

                  -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                  Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                  The Cow
                  The friendly cow all red and white,
                      I love with all my heart:
                  She gives me cream with all her might,
                      To eat with apple-tart.
                  She wanders lowing here and there,
                      And yet she cannot stray,
                  All in the pleasant open air,
                      The pleasant light of day;
                  And blown by all the winds that pass
                   &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

                  Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30 5:08 AM

                    Ben and Others:

                    Just to clarify.

                    I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

                    sam

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                    To the Fringed Gentian

                    Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
                    And colored with the heaven's own blue,
                    that openest when the quiet light
                    Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

                    Thou comest not when violets lean
                    O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
                    Or columbines, in purple dressed,
                    Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

                    Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
                    When woods are bare and birds are flown,
                    and frosts and shortening days portend
                    The aged year is near his end.

                    Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
                    Look through its fringes to the sky,
                    Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
                    A flower from its cerulean wall.

                    I would that thus, when I shall see
                    the hour of death draw near to me,
                    Hope, blossoming within my heart,
                    May look to heaven as I depart.
                         -William Cullen Bryant

                    scan_editor_brg@...
                    Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    04/29/2008 09:22 PM

                    Please respond to
                    beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                    cc
                    Subject
                    Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                  • Neil Cobb
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30 7:49 AM
                      Sam,

                      I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                      Thanks,
                      Neil

                      Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                      > She walks among the meadow grass
                      > And eats the meadow flowers.
                      > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                      >

                      > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                      > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                      > Please respond to
                      > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                      > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                      > cc
                      >
                      > Subject
                      > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                      >

                      > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                      > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                      > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                      > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                      > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                      > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                      Neil S. Cobb, Director
                      Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                      Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                      Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                      http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                      Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                      Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                      Department of Biological Sciences,
                      Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                      http://bugs.nau.edu

                      Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                      Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                      Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                      http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                      Neil.Cobb@...
                      (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                      (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                      (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                      Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
                    • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 30 11:47 AM

                        May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                        Barb

                        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                        Associate Professor

                        Department of Biological Sciences

                        Hampton University

                        Hampton, VA   23668

                        757-727-5283

                        barbara.abraham@...

                        Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

                        ben

                        --
                        Ben Gregory, Secretary
                        South Carolina Association of
                        Naturalists
                        2120 N. Davidson St., #217
                        Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
                        704 / 372-8532
                        scan_editor_brg@...

                        -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                        Karen:

                        I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                        sam

                        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                          Sam,
                          Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                          Thanks for the offer, though.
                          ben
                          --

                          ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                        • Joe Franke
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                            New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                            I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                            Send messages directly to:

                            consed@...

                            Thanks!

                            Joe Franke