Re: Elementary, my dear Watson.

  • hadel go
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20 6:05 PM
      here's the dialogue if i heard correctly:

      Sherlock: You remember the rare bee I was given for proving that Jarold Lyden had been poisoned?
      Watson: The bee in the box sure...
      S: Osmia avosetta is its own species which means it should not be able to reproduce with other kinds of bees and yet nature is infinitely wily...
      W: So box bee got another bee pregnant?
      S: Quite so... which means they should be reclassified as an entirely new species, the first newborn of which is about to crawl its way to sunlight.
      **they show a short clip of this "new" bee emerging from a cell in Sherlock's observation hive, it looks like a honeybee drone.**
      W: Oh my god...
      S: As the discoverer of the species the privilege of naming the creatures fall to me.  Allow me to introduce you to Euglossa watsonii.
      W: You named a bee after me?  You named a bee after me!
      **another clip of a bee emerging, it looks like a honeybee worker.**
      S: There should be dozens more within the hour.  If you like I can come get you once they're all here.
      W: It's alright.  I think I'll just watch.
      **end of show**

      i cringed.  but at least O avosetta got mentioned in a prime time hit show...  right?
    • Brian Dykstra
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20 6:44 PM
      About the Sherlock Homes Bee(s):
      Anita, Eli and others,
      The show ending was far some scientifically accurate.  This collage is not Osmia avosetta, but is a visual take on the shows science.  As I noted in my Ethnobeeology FB post, Sherlock Holmes has a long and varied history with beekeeping, which has been revived recently in books and now television.

      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Anita M. Collins <frozenbeedoc@...> wrote:

       Did anyone catch last week's episode of Elementary?  At the end of the show, Sherlock is sitting on the roof contemplating two VERY tall observation hives.  Apis, I supposed.  However he revealed that he had crossed an Apis with an Osmia and gotten a hybrid Euglossinae which he was naming after Watson.   ;o)  LOL!
      Anita

      Albert Einstein