Unknown bee: Pacific Northwest Washington State

  • Shannon
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2013
      I am trying to identify the bees currently living in a pocket under the siding of our porch. I assumed they were carpenter bees, but they don't appear to have the traits I've seen identified with carpenters except their decided place of residence.

      They almost look more like a bumble bee, but those that I have seen here have solid hair banding of yellow and black, but maybe it is another kind of bumble?

      Behavior: So far the bees have not been at all aggressive and have been busy pollinators of our garden before returning to their home under our siding in a pocket inside the exterior wall. When we exit or enter the front door, they never swarm or become aggressive in our presence, they simply buzz past to get to the garden and others buzz by to return to their colony often flying right past, over or in front of our faces.

      We don't want to attempt to move, remove or disturb them, since we don't know what type of bee they are and we would prefer to relocate them, if that is possible and if indeed their are not doing harm to our home.

      I am a novice in my bee knowledge and would like to learn more about them so that I may begin to foster mutually beneficial bee habitats on our property.

      Thank you in advance for any assistance or guidance you can provide.

      - Shannon