Re: [beemonitoring] Carpenter Bee Behavior Question

  • Edward Barrows
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2013
      It looks like about 5 female and 2 male Xylocopa virginica virginica.   Hypothesis: Females were feeding on the goose dropping, possibly obtaining salt.  Two males hovered over the females, contacting females and each other.  The small be is a male of unknown species which chased a male XVV.  The bees concentrated in the area because food, and likely other bees, attracted them.  Other hypotheses, anyone?  Edd Barrows

      On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Richard Orr <odonata457@...> wrote:

      I took this short video yesterday at Fort Frederick State Park in Maryland.

      Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with these Large Carpenter Bees?

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonflyhunter/8749419363/in/photostream

      Be sure to view at full screen and in HD.

      Thanks,

      Richard Orr

      www.marylandinsects.com

      www.flickr.com/photos/dragonflyhunter/

    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2013
         Bravo to bee attraction to salts...I sense this the terrific factor . For years my son and I  have noted the simple spring-summer (we never tried it in the fall season) attraction  of varieties of bee species to human urine on tree stumps.  Sorry if this offends forum sensibilities...but a darn 'quick and easy' means to observe a meadows bee species mix...is to observe a tree stump or rock which has been 'treated with an application' of this body fluid.  I have seen ove six types of bees all at the same time landed and enthralled by this circumstance here in central NY.

         It would be quite intresting (sorry to press on with this subject...but I.m sincere) to compare this 'protocol' to other 'survey trap protocols' in the same meadow or orchard.  I hope my two images reach the forum.  all the best, charlie guevara

      Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2013

        Hi all,

        I have been looking into the potential impacts of mosquito control larvicides to non-target organisms, including native bees (not honeybees).  I have heard it argued that because mosquito control activities are usually conducted at night (or at least at dusk), that the risk to bees is reduced because they are no longer foraging at that time.  The counter argument is that native bees may still be exposed to chemicals because they often spend the night at rest on flowers or plants.  I have seen Bombus males perched on flowers after dusk, and I can envision that male bees of solitary species do the same thing.  My question is do females do this as well?  Do solitary female bees that are actively laying eggs and provisioning their nests, tunnels, etc. with food resources also spend the evenings perched on vegetation, or are they more likely to be hanging out in their tunnels, tree cavities, or other nesting places? If anyone has observations or data on this topic, or any papers that address this issue that they could share, I would be very appreciative.

        Thanks very much for your help!

        Sincerely,

        Jen Frye

        Jennifer Frye

        Invertebrate Ecologist

        Wildlife and Heritage Service

        Maryland Department of Natural Resources

        P.O. Box 68

        909 Wye Mills Road

        Wye Mills , MD 21679

        Office: 410-827-8612 x102

        E-mail: jfrye@...

      • Odo Natasaki
        Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2013
          Jen,

          From my observations on the "popular" bees that go to provided cavity nest
          boxes, the females are always observed in their channels each night and
          through incliment weather. This would include many species of Osmia,
          Anthidium, Megachile etc. I have pulled out very many see-through covered
          trays from my bee boxes for over 25 years, and the females are almost
          always there. If they have been preyed upon or if predators move into the
          provisioning such as ants, the females of course won't be there. It makes
          for good photography in the morning when it's still cold and they haven't
          left for foraging yet.

          Cheers,

          Gord Hutchings

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have been looking into the potential impacts of mosquito control
          > larvicides to non-target organisms, including native bees (not honeybees).
          > I have heard it argued that because mosquito control activities are
          > usually conducted at night (or at least at dusk), that the risk to bees is
          > reduced because they are no longer foraging at that time. The counter
          > argument is that native bees may still be exposed to chemicals because
          > they often spend the night at rest on flowers or plants. I have seen
          > Bombus males perched on flowers after dusk, and I can envision that male
          > bees of solitary species do the same thing. My question is do females do
          > this as well? Do solitary female bees that are actively laying eggs and
          > provisioning their nests, tunnels, etc. with food resources also spend the
          > evenings perched on vegetation, or are they more likely to be hanging out
          > in their tunnels, tree cavities, or other nesting places? If anyone has
          > observations or data on this topic, or any papers that address this issue
          > that they could share, I would be very appreciative.
          >
          > Thanks very much for your help!
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Jen Frye
          >
          > Jennifer Frye
          > Invertebrate Ecologist
          > Wildlife and Heritage Service
          > Maryland Department of Natural Resources
          > P.O. Box 68
          > 909 Wye Mills Road
          > Wye Mills, MD 21679
          > Office: 410-827-8612 x102
          > E-mail: jfrye@...<mailto:jfrye@...>

          }\(-.-)/{
          https://sites.google.com/site/hutchingsbeeservice/announcement
        • Jack Neff

              Females of non-parasitic species usually spend their nights in their nests so exposure to short lived pesticides applied at night should be minimal.  The main exceptions would be the few nocturnal specie. Occasionally a late foraging diurnal female will be caught out after dark and will have to spend the night on a flower or grasping a stem but that is not common.  Parasitic females often do spend their nights in exposed places so they will be at risk.

              best

              Jack

              Austin , TX 78731 USA
              512-345-7219