Re: [beemonitoring] Online Tutorial on How to Make a Microscope Light from an LED Flashlight

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

      Sam,

      Thanks this looks a lot better than drilling a hole in the microscope arm and inserting a flashlight as you had at the BioBlitz at Rick Creek Park.  I was actually trying to drum up the courage to do that.  This new set up would also work great with just a batteried flashlight when in the field.

      Dave
    • Thor Hanson
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008
        Many thanks for this.  It will be a great improvement on my current method of strapping an LED headlamp to a peanut butter jar!

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

          Sam,

          Another idea might be to use wire conduit instead f the solid PVC to make the arm flexible so the light can be moved around easier.  I'll give it a shot.  Like Thor I also used headlamps attached to objects.

          Dave
        • Karen Wetherill
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
            I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
            several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
            primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
            this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
            I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
            accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
            Karen
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008

              Karen:

              I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              The Cow
              The friendly cow all red and white,
                  I love with all my heart:
              She gives me cream with all her might,
                  To eat with apple-tart.
              She wanders lowing here and there,
                  And yet she cannot stray,
              All in the pleasant open air,
                  The pleasant light of day;
              And blown by all the winds that pass
                  And wet with all the showers,
              She walks among the meadow grass
                  And eats the meadow flowers.
                 - Robert Louis Stevenson

              Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              04/23/2008 04:50 PM

              Please respond to
              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              cc
              Subject
              [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

              I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
              several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
              primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
              this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
              I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
              accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
              Karen

            • Jack Neff
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
                Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
                project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
                source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
                to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
                about everything. Most revisions have data on
                phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
                be the best place to start although as you know, many
                western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
                on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
                Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
                and for many species very little is known of any
                aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
                Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
                phenology and host data for several thousand
                California bees but again the overlap with your area
                is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
                send you what I have for phenology and host records
                for those species I have data for.

                best

                Jack

                --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

                > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
                > and phenology for
                > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
                > dredge through the
                > primary literature, but not making much progress.
                > Is there a method in
                > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
                > when the adults are out.
                > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
                > I want to start
                > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
                > sci-search? Thanks,
                > Karen

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Karen Wetherill
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
                  But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

                • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
                    Sam,
                    Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
                    ben
                    --
                    Ben Gregory, Secretary
                    South Carolina Association of

                    -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                    Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                    The Cow
                    The friendly cow all red and white,
                        I love with all my heart:
                    She gives me cream with all her might,
                        To eat with apple-tart.
                    She wanders lowing here and there,
                        And yet she cannot stray,
                    All in the pleasant open air,
                        The pleasant light of day;
                    And blown by all the winds that pass
                     &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

                    Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                      Ben and Others:

                      Just to clarify.

                      I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

                      sam

                      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                      To the Fringed Gentian

                      Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
                      And colored with the heaven's own blue,
                      that openest when the quiet light
                      Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

                      Thou comest not when violets lean
                      O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
                      Or columbines, in purple dressed,
                      Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

                      Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
                      When woods are bare and birds are flown,
                      and frosts and shortening days portend
                      The aged year is near his end.

                      Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
                      Look through its fringes to the sky,
                      Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
                      A flower from its cerulean wall.

                      I would that thus, when I shall see
                      the hour of death draw near to me,
                      Hope, blossoming within my heart,
                      May look to heaven as I depart.
                           -William Cullen Bryant

                      scan_editor_brg@...
                      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                      04/29/2008 09:22 PM

                      Please respond to
                      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                      cc
                      Subject
                      Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                    • Neil Cobb
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                        Sam,

                        I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                        Thanks,
                        Neil

                        Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                        > She walks among the meadow grass
                        > And eats the meadow flowers.
                        > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                        >

                        > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                        > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                        >
                        > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                        > Please respond to
                        > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                        > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                        > cc
                        >
                        > Subject
                        > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                        >

                        > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                        > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                        > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                        > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                        > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                        > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                        Neil S. Cobb, Director
                        Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                        Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                        Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                        http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                        Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                        Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                        Department of Biological Sciences,
                        Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                        http://bugs.nau.edu

                        Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                        Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                        Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                        http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                        Neil.Cobb@...
                        (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                        (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                        (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                        Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
                      • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                          May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                          Barb

                          Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                          Associate Professor

                          Department of Biological Sciences

                          Hampton University

                          Hampton, VA   23668

                          757-727-5283

                          barbara.abraham@...

                          Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!

                          ben

                          --
                          Ben Gregory, Secretary
                          South Carolina Association of
                          Naturalists
                          2120 N. Davidson St., #217
                          Charlotte, NC 28205-1838
                          704 / 372-8532
                          scan_editor_brg@...

                          -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                          Karen:

                          I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                          sam

                          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                            Sam,
                            Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                            Thanks for the offer, though.
                            ben
                            --

                            ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                          • Joe Franke
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                              New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                              I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                              Send messages directly to:

                              consed@...

                              Thanks!

                              Joe Franke