Re: Fwd: FW: Peter Raven sent you an article...Economist, April 27, 2013

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...> wrote:

      > Trust a British Economics magazine to publicize this old story.

      I watched the carpenter bees on my blueberries this spring (they bloomed early, and I did not observe any blueberry bees until the following week, when redbud opened).

      I had been concerned about pollination failure, because of the nectar robbing behavior of the carpenter bees. I was a little reassured as I watched them work, because these big bumbling bees did brush the stigma more often that I had expected. And I could see pollen on their bodies.

      I was much more relieved, when I later realized that we have a fine fruit set.

      Dave
      Coastal SC