Re: [beemonitoring] Online Tutorial on How to Make a Microscope Light from an LED Flashlight

  • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008
      Sam,
      German Perilla is a genius! And you are a genius for passing this around.
      This is the most excellent thing I've seen in years. I'm amazed and
      delighted. My Volpi illuminator cost $600 used!

      Thank you all!

      Jerry
      __________________________
      Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
      Research Coordinator, Olympic National Park
      Coordinator, North Coast & Cascades Research Learning Network
      Olympic National Park
      600 E. Park Ave.
      Port Angeles, WA 98362

      Phone: 360-565-3082
      Fax: 360-565-3070
      Cell: 360-477-3338
      Jerry_Freilich@...

      "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
      there are many such places..."
      Edward Abbey
      ___________________________

      Sam Droege
      <sdroege@...
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      beemonitoring@yah cc
      oogroups.com
      Subject
      [beemonitoring] Online Tutorial on
      04/16/2008 09:27 How to Make a Microscope Light from
      PM AST an LED Flashlight

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yah
      oogroups.com

      All:

      German Perilla from George Mason University has put together a wonderful online
      tutorial on how to make a microscope light from an LED Flashlight. I use these on
      both my home and office personal scopes and leave those noisy, expensive, energy
      wasting fiber optics for the visitors.

      You can check it out at:

      http://envstudies.org/

      Note that at this point it only runs under the Microsoft Internet Explorer
      browser. They will be updating it soon to run under other platforms. When that
      happens we will let you know.

      "Bee conservation begins with a good microscope light, and, without bees the
      world....well, you know the rest."
      - A. Einstein

      sam

      Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      Why We Have Come

      We have come because
      the trees are in blossom
      because the wind tugs at our sleeves
      we come because the ocean has brought us here
      many times

      We have come because a man
      once held a fresh page to the light
      and declared tyranny dead

      we have come because a woman
      refused to keep to her place

      We have come because the planet brought us
      on its way around the sun

      trees hold onto the sky and breathe the rooted earth
      singing deep songs of oxygen

      bees roam between flowers and the moon
      weaving genetic strands in the ageless spiraling dance

      restless elephants push against their diminishing range
      tear through fences looking for food
      never imagining fences.

      We are people
      and this is what we do

      We have come to say
      the planet will not be privatized
      the holy ground will not be sanitized
      people are not numbers to be erased

      we are tired of insider deals cut in rooms
      full of plush carpets and air conditioning
      while families starve in the sweltering doorways

      sick from the sludge of poorly digested dollars
      oozing from the sewers and washing the shopping malls
      in the stench

      development loans that build dictators' palaces
      and prison factories
      while charging the people
      for the chains that enslave them
      and the bullets that kill them
      plus interest

      We have come because we have followed long trails of blood
      to this place
      and we are asking to see your hands

      we have come because we looked in the mirror today
      and we saw that you were us
      and we are trying to change

      we have come because we are here
      because we have been taught to stand
      because we were born

      because an endless river brought us here

      -troy skeels
    • David_r_smith@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

        Sam,

        Thanks this looks a lot better than drilling a hole in the microscope arm and inserting a flashlight as you had at the BioBlitz at Rick Creek Park.  I was actually trying to drum up the courage to do that.  This new set up would also work great with just a batteried flashlight when in the field.

        Dave
      • Thor Hanson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008
          Many thanks for this.  It will be a great improvement on my current method of strapping an LED headlamp to a peanut butter jar!

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

            Sam,

            Another idea might be to use wire conduit instead f the solid PVC to make the arm flexible so the light can be moved around easier.  I'll give it a shot.  Like Thor I also used headlamps attached to objects.

            Dave
          • Karen Wetherill
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
              I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
              several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
              primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
              this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
              I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
              accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
              Karen
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008

                Karen:

                I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                sam

                Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                The Cow
                The friendly cow all red and white,
                    I love with all my heart:
                She gives me cream with all her might,
                    To eat with apple-tart.
                She wanders lowing here and there,
                    And yet she cannot stray,
                All in the pleasant open air,
                    The pleasant light of day;
                And blown by all the winds that pass
                    And wet with all the showers,
                She walks among the meadow grass
                    And eats the meadow flowers.
                   - Robert Louis Stevenson

                Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
                Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                04/23/2008 04:50 PM

                Please respond to
                beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                cc
                Subject
                [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
                Karen

              • Jack Neff
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
                  Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
                  project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
                  source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
                  to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
                  about everything. Most revisions have data on
                  phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
                  be the best place to start although as you know, many
                  western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
                  on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
                  Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
                  and for many species very little is known of any
                  aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
                  Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
                  phenology and host data for several thousand
                  California bees but again the overlap with your area
                  is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
                  send you what I have for phenology and host records
                  for those species I have data for.

                  best

                  Jack

                  --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

                  > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
                  > and phenology for
                  > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
                  > dredge through the
                  > primary literature, but not making much progress.
                  > Is there a method in
                  > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
                  > when the adults are out.
                  > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
                  > I want to start
                  > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
                  > sci-search? Thanks,
                  > Karen

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Karen Wetherill
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
                    But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

                  • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
                      Sam,
                      Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
                      ben
                      --
                      Ben Gregory, Secretary
                      South Carolina Association of

                      -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                      The Cow
                      The friendly cow all red and white,
                          I love with all my heart:
                      She gives me cream with all her might,
                          To eat with apple-tart.
                      She wanders lowing here and there,
                          And yet she cannot stray,
                      All in the pleasant open air,
                          The pleasant light of day;
                      And blown by all the winds that pass
                       &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

                      Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                        Ben and Others:

                        Just to clarify.

                        I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

                        sam

                        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                        To the Fringed Gentian

                        Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
                        And colored with the heaven's own blue,
                        that openest when the quiet light
                        Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

                        Thou comest not when violets lean
                        O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
                        Or columbines, in purple dressed,
                        Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

                        Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
                        When woods are bare and birds are flown,
                        and frosts and shortening days portend
                        The aged year is near his end.

                        Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
                        Look through its fringes to the sky,
                        Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
                        A flower from its cerulean wall.

                        I would that thus, when I shall see
                        the hour of death draw near to me,
                        Hope, blossoming within my heart,
                        May look to heaven as I depart.
                             -William Cullen Bryant

                        scan_editor_brg@...
                        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                        04/29/2008 09:22 PM

                        Please respond to
                        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                        cc
                        Subject
                        Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                      • Neil Cobb
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                          Sam,

                          I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                          Thanks,
                          Neil

                          Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                          > She walks among the meadow grass
                          > And eats the meadow flowers.
                          > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                          >

                          > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                          > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                          >
                          > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                          > Please respond to
                          > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                          > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                          > cc
                          >
                          > Subject
                          > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                          >

                          > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                          > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                          > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                          > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                          > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                          > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                          Neil S. Cobb, Director
                          Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                          Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                          Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                          http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                          Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                          Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                          Department of Biological Sciences,
                          Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                          http://bugs.nau.edu

                          Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                          Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                          Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                          http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                          Neil.Cobb@...
                          (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                          (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                          (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                          Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
                        • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                            May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                            Barb

                            Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                            Associate Professor

                            Department of Biological Sciences

                            Hampton University

                            Hampton, VA   23668

                            757-727-5283

                            barbara.abraham@...

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                              Sam,
                              Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                              Thanks for the offer, though.
                              ben
                              --

                              ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                            • Joe Franke
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                                New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                                I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                                Send messages directly to:

                                consed@...

                                Thanks!

                                Joe Franke