Re: [beemonitoring] bees attracted to GPS receiver [1 Attachment]

  • Anita M. Collins
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16 6:41 PM
      I do know that honey bees are attracted to the black foam TV crews use to cover microphones.  While filming any number of segments on Africanized honey bees, that was the major attraction point for the disturbed bees in the air.  Small dark spots, like eyes or insignia on white shirts are also targets of defending honey bees.

      Anita Collins

      Albert Einstein

      On 04/16/13, Rob Irwin<robsbugs@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Rob Irwin included below]

      A survey crew in the Klamath mountains in California noticed a large
      number of solitary bees landing on their GPS receiving antenna. See the
      attached photograph. The bees arrived over the morning, landing on all
      parts of the GPS, but not on other equipment. The GPS antenna does not
      transmit signals but is an amplified receiver.

      Has anyone noticed bees being attracted to electronics? Maybe they are
      responding an electric field?

      Rob Irwin

    • Rob Irwin