Online Tutorial on How to Make a Microscope Light from an LED Flashlight

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16, 2008

      All:

      German Perilla from George Mason University has put together a wonderful online tutorial on how to make a microscope light from an LED Flashlight.  I use these on both my home and office personal scopes and leave those noisy, expensive, energy wasting fiber optics for the visitors.

      You can check it out at:

      http://envstudies.org/

      Note that at this point it only runs under the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.  They will be updating it soon to run under other platforms.  When that happens we will let you know.

      "Bee conservation begins with a good microscope light, and, without bees the world....well, you know the rest."
              -  A. Einstein

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Why We Have Come

      We have come because
      the trees are in blossom
      because the wind tugs at our sleeves
      we come because the ocean has brought us here
      many times

      We have come because a man
      once held a fresh page to the light
      and declared tyranny dead

      we have come because a woman
      refused to keep to her place

      We have come because the planet brought us
      on its way around the sun

      trees hold onto the sky and breathe the rooted earth
      singing deep songs of oxygen

      bees roam between flowers and the moon
      weaving genetic strands in the ageless spiraling dance

      restless elephants push against their diminishing range
      tear through fences looking for food
      never imagining fences.

      We are people
      and this is what we do

      We have come to say
      the planet will not be privatized
      the holy ground will not be sanitized
      people are not numbers to be erased

      we are tired of insider deals cut in rooms
      full of plush carpets and air conditioning
      while families starve in the sweltering doorways

      sick from the sludge of poorly digested dollars
      oozing from the sewers and washing the shopping malls
      in the stench

      development loans that build dictators' palaces
      and prison factories
      while charging the people
      for the chains that enslave them
      and the bullets that kill them
      plus interest

      We have come because we have followed long trails of blood
      to this place
      and we are asking to see your hands

      we have come because we looked in the mirror today
      and we saw that you were us
      and we are trying to change

      we have come because we are here
      because we have been taught to stand
      because we were born

      because an endless river brought us here

              -troy skeels
    • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008
        Sam,
        German Perilla is a genius! And you are a genius for passing this around.
        This is the most excellent thing I've seen in years. I'm amazed and
        delighted. My Volpi illuminator cost $600 used!

        Thank you all!

        Jerry
        __________________________
        Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
        Research Coordinator, Olympic National Park
        Coordinator, North Coast & Cascades Research Learning Network
        Olympic National Park
        600 E. Park Ave.
        Port Angeles, WA 98362

        Phone: 360-565-3082
        Fax: 360-565-3070
        Cell: 360-477-3338
        Jerry_Freilich@...

        "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
        there are many such places..."
        Edward Abbey
        ___________________________

        Sam Droege
        <sdroege@...
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        beemonitoring@yah cc
        oogroups.com
        Subject
        [beemonitoring] Online Tutorial on
        04/16/2008 09:27 How to Make a Microscope Light from
        PM AST an LED Flashlight

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yah
        oogroups.com

        All:

        German Perilla from George Mason University has put together a wonderful online
        tutorial on how to make a microscope light from an LED Flashlight. I use these on
        both my home and office personal scopes and leave those noisy, expensive, energy
        wasting fiber optics for the visitors.

        You can check it out at:

        http://envstudies.org/

        Note that at this point it only runs under the Microsoft Internet Explorer
        browser. They will be updating it soon to run under other platforms. When that
        happens we will let you know.

        "Bee conservation begins with a good microscope light, and, without bees the
        world....well, you know the rest."
        - A. Einstein

        sam

        Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
        Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

          Sam,

          Thanks this looks a lot better than drilling a hole in the microscope arm and inserting a flashlight as you had at the BioBlitz at Rick Creek Park.  I was actually trying to drum up the courage to do that.  This new set up would also work great with just a batteried flashlight when in the field.

          Dave
        • Thor Hanson
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008
            Many thanks for this.  It will be a great improvement on my current method of strapping an LED headlamp to a peanut butter jar!

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2008

              Sam,

              Another idea might be to use wire conduit instead f the solid PVC to make the arm flexible so the light can be moved around easier.  I'll give it a shot.  Like Thor I also used headlamps attached to objects.

              Dave
            • Karen Wetherill
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
                I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
                Karen
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008

                  Karen:

                  I would be glad to send you our database of records....we have enough  captures of some of the eastern species that you could put together phenologies for some for some of the Mid-Atlantic species.

                  sam

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                  The Cow
                  The friendly cow all red and white,
                      I love with all my heart:
                  She gives me cream with all her might,
                      To eat with apple-tart.
                  She wanders lowing here and there,
                      And yet she cannot stray,
                  All in the pleasant open air,
                      The pleasant light of day;
                  And blown by all the winds that pass
                      And wet with all the showers,
                  She walks among the meadow grass
                      And eats the meadow flowers.
                     - Robert Louis Stevenson

                  Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
                  Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  04/23/2008 04:50 PM

                  Please respond to
                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  cc
                  Subject
                  [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                  I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                  several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                  primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                  this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                  I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                  accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,
                  Karen

                • Jack Neff
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
                    Karen: It probably will be a mainly do-it -yourself
                    project for your New Mexico bees as their is no single
                    source for the data you are looking for. You'll have
                    to make your own guesses about voltinism for just
                    about everything. Most revisions have data on
                    phenology (and sometimes host records) so that will
                    be the best place to start although as you know, many
                    western groups have no modern revisions. I have data
                    on phenology and host records for about a 1000 spp of
                    Texas bees but the overlap with your area is not great
                    and for many species very little is known of any
                    aspect of their biologies. Similarly, the old
                    Moldenke and Neff catalog of Bees of California has
                    phenology and host data for several thousand
                    California bees but again the overlap with your area
                    is not great. If you send me a species list, I can
                    send you what I have for phenology and host records
                    for those species I have data for.

                    best

                    Jack

                    --- Karen Wetherill <karen@...> wrote:

                    > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism
                    > and phenology for
                    > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to
                    > dredge through the
                    > primary literature, but not making much progress.
                    > Is there a method in
                    > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know
                    > when the adults are out.
                    > I know that much of this information is unknown, but
                    > I want to start
                    > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides
                    > sci-search? Thanks,
                    > Karen

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Karen Wetherill
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                      Jack, attached is my list. That was pretty much the reply I expected.
                      But I appreciate any help. Thanks, Karen

                    • scan_editor_brg@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
                        Sam,
                        Could I get a copy of the bee phenologies also? Thanks!
                        ben
                        --
                        Ben Gregory, Secretary
                        South Carolina Association of

                        -------------- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@...>: --------------

                        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                        Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                        The Cow
                        The friendly cow all red and white,
                            I love with all my heart:
                        She gives me cream with all her might,
                            To eat with apple-tart.
                        She wanders lowing here and there,
                            And yet she cannot stray,
                        All in the pleasant open air,
                            The pleasant light of day;
                        And blown by all the winds that pass
                         &nb sp;  And wet with all the showers,

                        Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                          Ben and Others:

                          Just to clarify.

                          I have a large access database of bee records that I am happy to share with anyone who wishes....(Heather Harmon and Cathy Stragar will have to let me know if they want their information shared) but I actually have not compiled that information into phenological charts.   Anyone who would like to tackle that would be more than welcome however!

                          sam

                          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                          To the Fringed Gentian

                          Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
                          And colored with the heaven's own blue,
                          that openest when the quiet light
                          Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

                          Thou comest not when violets lean
                          O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
                          Or columbines, in purple dressed,
                          Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

                          Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
                          When woods are bare and birds are flown,
                          and frosts and shortening days portend
                          The aged year is near his end.

                          Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
                          Look through its fringes to the sky,
                          Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
                          A flower from its cerulean wall.

                          I would that thus, when I shall see
                          the hour of death draw near to me,
                          Hope, blossoming within my heart,
                          May look to heaven as I depart.
                               -William Cullen Bryant

                          scan_editor_brg@...
                          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                          04/29/2008 09:22 PM

                          Please respond to
                          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                          cc
                          Subject
                          Re: [beemonitoring] bee natural history data

                        • Neil Cobb
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                            Sam,

                            I would be interested in showing it to some database/IT people to see what solutions they come up with, so I would be interested in a copy.

                            Thanks,
                            Neil

                            Sam Droege wrote:

> [...]
                            > She walks among the meadow grass
                            > And eats the meadow flowers.
                            > - Robert Louis Stevenson
                            >

                            > *Karen Wetherill <karen@...>*
                            > Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                            >
                            > 04/23/2008 04:50 PM
                            > Please respond to
                            > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                            > beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                            > cc
                            >
                            > Subject
                            > [beemonitoring] bee natural history data
                            >

                            > I am trying to look up host information, voltinism and phenology for
                            > several hundred species of bees. I am trying to dredge through the
                            > primary literature, but not making much progress. Is there a method in
                            > this madness? For phenology, I just want to know when the adults are out.
                            > I know that much of this information is unknown, but I want to start
                            > accumulating this info. Any suggestions besides sci-search? Thanks,

                            Neil S. Cobb, Director
                            Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
                            Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
                            Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                            http://www.mpcer.nau.edu

                            Neil S. Cobb, Curator
                            Colorado Plateau Museum of Arthropod Biodiversity
                            Department of Biological Sciences,
                            Box 5640 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                            http://bugs.nau.edu

                            Neil S. Cobb, Coordinator
                            Geospatial Research and Information Lab (GRAIL)
                            Box 4071 Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                            http://www.grail.nau.edu/

                            Neil.Cobb@...
                            (Home Office) 928-214-6237
                            (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075
                            (NAU Office) 928-523-5528
                            Map: http://www.nau.edu/web/campus_map/north_campus.html
                          • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008

                              May I please have a copy of the bee phonologies, also?  Thanks!

                              Barb

                              Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                              Associate Professor

                              Department of Biological Sciences

                              Hampton University

                              Hampton, VA   23668

                              757-727-5283

                              barbara.abraham@...

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 6, 2008
                                Sam,
                                Thanks, but I can't compile that information into the phenological charts.
                                Thanks for the offer, though.
                                ben
                                --

                                ------------ -- Original message from Sam Droege <sdroege@usgs. gov>: ------------ --

[...]

                              • Joe Franke
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                                  New copy of Michener's Bees of the World available
                                  I have a new copy of the 2nd edition hardback Bees of the World for sale for $75...proceeds go towards a neotropical pollinator project.

                                  Send messages directly to:

                                  consed@...

                                  Thanks!

                                  Joe Franke