  • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2013
      Wow! What a range of answers from all so far but the concensus is to use
      0-3 pins only and if smaller, to glue on the side of a #3 pin. This sure
      is different from what I was taught 30 years ago as we were told to only
      glue insects to pins if they were in the Diptera order.

      For those that said small pins less than #0 were too hard to spin or
      bend too easily, yes, I'm aware of those hideous cork board boxes
      especially utilised in the shipping world but even then, I've always
      used one of those pinning pliers with the cross-hatched faces. All my
      shmitt boxes and the ones I have access to at the Royal BC Museum all
      have nice ethafoam for ease of pin placement.

      This reminds me of a story when I was sent in the field for a 14 day
      solo trip in northern Saskatchewan (Athabasca Sand Dunes), and I had run
      out of shmitt boxes so I made some out of cardboard. Anyways, I caught
      way, way more insects in my traps than I had anticipated and seeing that
      I didn't have enough alcohol vials, I pinned everything but couldn't put
      the smaller pins into corrugated cardboard very well. I had also forgot
      to bring my pinning pliers so I ended up using my Swiss Army knife
      pliers for thousands of specimens into my cardboard boxes. Luckily the
      sky never went completely dark and I did have a large enough tent to
      hunker down in at "night" and during times of foul weather to perform
      all this work. One had to have this to keep the mosquitoes away as they
      were wicked at that time of the year.

      I think I'll continue with using the appropriate size pins for the
      specimens being pinned and deal with the consequences should I ever get
      to loan out my specimens further afield other than here in B.C.

      Cheers,

      Gord

      Gord Hutchings
      Shop 162C U/W Weapons