RE: [beemonitoring] pin sizes for bees?

  • <Gordon.Hutchings@...>
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
      Peter,

      You see, this fellow said that I would be "...ruining the specimens if I used anything other than a #3", whatever that means. If I put a #3 through a small Halictus, in my opinion I'd ruin it, that's why I'm asking the question.

      Gord

      #5 for all my insect specimens but this much younger chap stated
      something to me that maybe I should check in with the current protocol
      on pinning. Personally, I still do the old fashioned way and continue to
      pin say a small Hylaeus with a #0 or #1, and a good size Megachile with
      say a #3. It works for me but if one is going to send specimens off, I'd
      like to know where the melittological community stands.

      I guess I have to "get with the program" if it has indeed changed,
      progressed or whatever but for the most part, my specimens are for my
      own purposes until I share or donate to the appropriate institution.

      Thanks,

      Gord

      Gord Hutchings
      Shop 162C U/W Weapons
      FMF CFB Esquimalt
      (250) 363-2200

      https://sites.google.com/site/hutchingsbeeservice/announcement

    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013

        Peter, Gordon and others- I use 1s, 2s and 3s matched for bee size (don’t want to obliterate thoracic dorsum if a key then asks for its punctuation, as you note, Gordon).  Like you, Peter, I point the tinier stuff, or more commonly, I use Mich’s method of gluing them directly to the left side of the pin.  If I know that ID for the genus will be tricky for a wee one, I’ll also double mount a few of a series on minutens stuck into tiny corks pinned through a #2 or #3 pin.  If it is a megachilid, I spread at least one mandible 12-24 hrs after killing, and try to unfold at least one set of legs so that spurs and such can be seen.

        Yours,

        Jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Unit

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

        Gardening for Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
          Dear Gordon:

          It sounds to me like we need some sort of guidance in the form of a publication in a reviewed journal.  it should have a title like, "Pinning bees must not obliterate critical dorsum characters.

          Frankly, I don't like to point and I'm not a fan of using the Michener method of adding a dab of glue to the pin shaft and letting it adhere to the bee's side.  I find that pointed specimens tend to fall off the point after a few years.  Perhaps I'm not using the preferred flue and would appreciate some advice regarding the choice of brands.  Perhaps we need another publication on the comparative uses of industrial mucilages written in the style of a "Consumer Reports" article.

          Peter

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
          If anyone wants a paper to cite on this subject see the attached one [in German]. Ebmer uses smaller pins than most would recommend (00). These do bend easily so I recommend thicker pins. A well placed 0 or 1 is unlikely to obliterate scutal characters even for many small bees.

          Jason

          --
          Jason Gibbs, PhD
          Research Associate
          Message 5 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
            When I first started out, the glue we used was a paste made from resin and EtOH. I don't know if this is still around or used but I've sinced used white glue but like I said, as far as putting on the side of a pin, I keep this limited to diptera. I point everything else but I do prefer to use pins only. However, back then, we also used potassium cyanide and I've since used ethyl acetate or freezer. In a pinch, I was also taught to use a local species of milipede for cyanide to kill insects separated within a killing jar even! Surely we know at what point an improper pin size will obliterate certain characteristics on the thorax?

            Cheers,

            Gord

            Message 6 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
              Gordon- Looks like you have had lot of good comments. I tend to agree more with the folks using 1, 2, and 3's. Here are some of the trade off's and thoughts:
              • #1-3's tend to decrease the handling time over the curatorial life of the insect. This not only includes the initial processing but also sorting, identification, curation, and potential loans.
              • #00-1's may decrease initial processing time versus using points, direct-glue and/or minutens.
              • Proportionality and Art of using the right size pin- "In the eye of the Bee Holder"
              • On very limited budgets I advise buying #2's for the bulk of bee processing. [pure opinion] Most bee specimens can be pinned using #2's and the reminder can be mounted with points/or the direct-glue-method.
              • Thinner pins are more susceptible to corrosion over time - normally bending right at the insect or just below it.
              • The correct pin size for pinning a bee would be one in which the pin inserts just inside of the right parapsidal line and doesn't make a hole large enough to reach the midline of the scutum. Causing a split in the scutum tends to indicate a pin that is too large even if it causes a relatively small hole between the midline and the tegula.
              • Direct-glue, point, or minuten should always be used instead of compromising the scutum. Caution should be taken not to drive the minuten through the right and left plural areas when double mounting very small bees. The Direct-glue method seems faster than the other two method and works well in the field. Using too much glue will obstruct taxonomically important areas on the left side of the bee. Use just enough glue to attach the right plural area to the pin.
              • Some will find that using direct-glue with a larger pin is easier than using #0-00's in the field.
              • In general, the largest pin that preserves the integrity of the exoskeleton should be used.  [pure opinion]
              Finally, Contact the institution that you would like to donate the specimens. If there are specific standards that should be meet, they are the ones to ask.

              Best,

              Harold W Ikerd
              Hikerd@...
              435-227-5711 (Google Voice)