Re: [beemonitoring] Ground nesting bees and mulch

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2013
      Thick layers of newspaper, 4" of wood chips or plastic sheeting are all very unnatural ground covers so you shouldn't fool yourself as to whether or not they will have a negative affect on ground nesting bees  - they will.  However, bees don't need to nest adjacent to their floral hosts so if you have un-mulched areas somewhere in general vicinity all should be well.

      best

      Jack