nesting of bees

  • Preeti Virkar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 10:43 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3.2 MB
    The current discussion by Jim and Sam on nests of Osmian bees reminded me of posting this picture in attachment. Though may not be about osmia nesting habits. I found it at my study site in Dehradun Forest Division, Uttarakhand, India. See the attachment for the picture and let me know if any one has seen such a nest before. Looks like a miniature egg but with an opening at one end- circular, with a lid maybe. I feel it could be of a bee. I found many of these nests (almost 20 in number on the bark, sometimes in cracks or crevices off the bark) attached to the Sal (Shorea robusta) tree trunk. Their colour is white actually. But many brown due to the mud splashed on them. This also gives a clue that the nests may have been made prior to monsoon and the insect (I suppose it to be bee) hatches before monsoon. I also found metallic green coloured particle almost 1mm in size inside one nest.

    Check the picture.
  • Doug Yanega
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 10:54 AM
      On 4/3/13 10:43 AM, Preeti Virkar wrote:

      That is the appearance, and common placement, of Limacodid moth cocoons.
      You can find numerous similar photos on the web and in the literature,
      primarily from SE Asia, where Limacodids are common and diverse.

      Peace,