Re: [beemonitoring] U.S. Osmia nesting habits [2 Attachments]

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013

      Let me carry Jim's point one step further and point out that many bee species nests have never been documented and just as many bee nest parasites/inquilines have never been associated with host species.  Undoubtedly such nests and species are nesting nearby where you live and perhaps even in your yard. Basic understanding, documentation, and life history of bees and other insects is the foundation to all bee research and conservation and something well worth pursuing and publishing.

      If someone has time or interns on their hands it would be a worthy cause to come up with a little database that documents which species have published nest descriptions.  I would be happy to host such a file and the larger beemonitoring list can be used to vet that list and make additions and corrections.  I would volunteer but my creditors want me to finish working up what I have already started.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

         Oh for boyhood's painless play,
         Sleep that wakes in laughing day,
         Health that mocks the doctor's rules,
         Knowledge never learned of schools,
         Of the wild bee's morning chase,
         Of the wild-flower's time and place,
         Flight of fowl and habitude
         Of the tenants of the wood;
         How the tortoise bears his shell,
         How the woodchuck digs his cell,
         And the ground-mole sinks his well;
         How the robin feeds her young,
         How the oriole's nest is hung;
         Where the whitest lilies blow,
         Where the freshest berries grow,
         Where the ground-nut trails its vine,
         Where the wood-grape's clusters shine;
         Of the black wasp's cunning way,
         Mason of his walls of clay,
         And the architectural plans
         Of gray hornet artisans!
         For, eschewing books and tasks,
         Nature answers all he asks;
         Hand in hand with her he walks,
         Face to face with her he talks,
         Part and parcel of her joy, --
         Blessings on the barefoot boy!

               From THE BAREFOOT BOY - John Greenleaf Whittier

      sam

      On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Cane, Jim <Jim.Cane@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Cane, Jim included below]

      Folks- Sam suggested that I post this to all of you.  You will read that the nesting habits of many of our US Osmia species remain unknown, so especially if you find a ground-nesting species, or one in a gall, or a free-standing nest, it is worth documenting!  There also remain surprises, such as dung nesting (also recently reported from Argentina for a different megachild genus).

      yours

      Jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/