Osmia simillimia - Floral/ Habitat Habits

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 5:08 AM

      I have been going through some bee data from Acadia National Park on the Coast of Maine.  Most of it is very interpretable, but at one site I am getting very large numbers of Osmia simillima.  This is a species I don't see in the mid-Atlantic area and don't have a sense of what species it prefers to forage on and what habitat requirements it may have.

      The site where these were found was very sandy (for this part of Maine) but the sand area is very restricted by surrounding rocky coastline and is only a few hectares.

      I welcome any insights into this species habitat requirements.

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      Landscape With The Fall of Icarus

      According to Brueghel
      when Icarus fell
      it was spring

      a farmer was ploughing
      his field
      the whole pageantry

      of the year was
      awake tingling
      near

      the edge of the sea
      concerned
      with itself

      sweating in the sun
      that melted
      the wings' wax

      unsignificantly
      off the coast
      there was

      a splash quite unnoticed
      this was
      Icarus drowning

            - William Carlos Williams

      --
      Bees are Not Optional
      ผึ้งไม่จำเป็น
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 7:20 AM

        Sam- Osmia simillimia is listed in the big table in my review of nesting habits of Osmia.  Two old records have it in wood and in oak-apple galls with mud closures; a recent note reported communal nesting (!).  With so few records, though, I would not dismiss the possibility of ground-nesting that you allude to.  The citation is:

        Cane, J.H., T.G. Griswold and F.D. Parker. 2007.  Substrates and materials used for nesting by North American Osmia bees.  Ann. Entomol. Soc. Amer. 100(3): 350-358.

        Shall I post a pdf of the paper?

        Jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

        Gardening for Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

      • Cane, Jim
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 9:00 AM

        Folks- Sam suggested that I post this to all of you.  You will read that the nesting habits of many of our US Osmia species remain unknown, so especially if you find a ground-nesting species, or one in a gall, or a free-standing nest, it is worth documenting!  There also remain surprises, such as dung nesting (also recently reported from Argentina for a different megachild genus).

        yours

        Jim

        ===============================

        Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 12:27 PM

          Let me carry Jim's point one step further and point out that many bee species nests have never been documented and just as many bee nest parasites/inquilines have never been associated with host species.  Undoubtedly such nests and species are nesting nearby where you live and perhaps even in your yard. Basic understanding, documentation, and life history of bees and other insects is the foundation to all bee research and conservation and something well worth pursuing and publishing.

          If someone has time or interns on their hands it would be a worthy cause to come up with a little database that documents which species have published nest descriptions.  I would be happy to host such a file and the larger beemonitoring list can be used to vet that list and make additions and corrections.  I would volunteer but my creditors want me to finish working up what I have already started.

          sam

          Sam Droege  sdroege@...

             Oh for boyhood's painless play,
             Sleep that wakes in laughing day,
             Health that mocks the doctor's rules,
             Knowledge never learned of schools,
             Of the wild bee's morning chase,
             Of the wild-flower's time and place,
             Flight of fowl and habitude
             Of the tenants of the wood;
             How the tortoise bears his shell,
             How the woodchuck digs his cell,
             And the ground-mole sinks his well;
             How the robin feeds her young,
             How the oriole's nest is hung;
             Where the whitest lilies blow,
             Where the freshest berries grow,
             Where the ground-nut trails its vine,
             Where the wood-grape's clusters shine;
             Of the black wasp's cunning way,
             Mason of his walls of clay,
             And the architectural plans
             Of gray hornet artisans!
             For, eschewing books and tasks,
             Nature answers all he asks;
             Hand in hand with her he walks,
             Face to face with her he talks,
             Part and parcel of her joy, --
             Blessings on the barefoot boy!

                   From THE BAREFOOT BOY - John Greenleaf Whittier

          sam

          [Attachment(s) from Cane, Jim included below]