Rowcover for assessing nesting density?

  • Kuhn,Bernadette
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013

      Dear Listserve-

      I am looking for any tips on sampling nesting density of ground nesting bees in native grasslands. I have read the methods described by Kim et al. 2006* which describe using floating rowcover. The authors covered patches of ground with rowcover at night and captured bees that emerged from nests in the morning. I am considering using similar methods, maybe paired with pan traps beneath the rowcover. Has anyone tried rowcover with or without pan traps to measure nesting density? Perhaps there are other methods I have not stumbled across?  Any input is appreciated.

      *Reference: Kim, J., N. Williams, C. Kremen. 2006. Effects of Cultivation and Proximity to Natural Habitat on Ground-Nesting Native Bees in California Sunflower Fields. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 79 (4): 309-320.

      Thanks,

      Bernadette Kuhn

      Botanist

      Colorado Natural Heritage Program