Andrena commoda mystery

  • Laura Russo
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      Dear listserve,

      I have a bit of a bee mystery that I thought someone might have insight into.

      I sampled for bees in an agroecosystem for two summers, sampling every other week with pan traps at 30 locations (spatially separated) around the fields.  The pan traps were yellow and large.  There is one day that stands out because, in one pan at one site on June 25, 2010, we captured 54 individual specimens of Andrena commoda.  (The identification was confirmed by an expert.)

      In two years of sampling, we only ever caught 5 other individuals of that species.

      Does anyone have any intuition as to why we would catch so many in just one pan on just one day?  What caused them to commit mass suicide in the pan, and where did they all come from?  Why June 25th, and why not anywhere else, or in the other year?

      Any insights you might have would be greatly appreciated.

      Best,
      Laura

      --
      PhD Candidate
      Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Ecology

      office: 415 Mueller Lab
      phone: 814-865-7912
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
        On 3/28/13 11:41 AM, Laura Russo wrote:

        I sampled for bees in an agroecosystem for two summers, sampling every other week with pan traps at 30 locations (spatially separated) around the fields.  The pan traps were yellow and large.  There is one day that stands out because, in one pan at one site on June 25, 2010, we captured 54 individual specimens of Andrena commoda.  (The identification was confirmed by an expert.)

        In two years of sampling, we only ever caught 5 other individuals of that species.

        Does anyone have any intuition as to why we would catch so many in just one pan on just one day?  What caused them to commit mass suicide in the pan, and where did they all come from?  Why June 25th, and why not anywhere else, or in the other year?

        Any insights you might have would be greatly appreciated.

        I can suggest one possible explanation. Many ground-nesting bees aggregate their nests, and will mass-emerge at a single overwintering site; when the trigger for emergence is specific enough, the nesting conditions are uniform enough, and the bees are hard-wired enough, you can have basically the entire overwintering population pop out of the ground all at once. Admittedly, 54 bees caught at a single pan trap seems a bit excessive, but you don't say how far it was from that to the next nearest trap. Having 54 bees emerge in an area of approximately 5-10 square meters would not be that hard to imagine, but having none of them show up in any other traps is harder to grasp unless the traps were very widely spaced, and the bees only vulnerable to being trapped right after they emerge. In effect, you wouldn't be able to replicate it unless you just happened to plop a trap down exactly in the middle of another nest aggregation (and aggregations can and do "relocate" - it certainly has some adaptive potential).

        Peace,
      • Anita M. Collins
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
          Hi Laura,

          I've the same experience.  Sampling at Lehigh Gap Nature Center in Slatington, PA, we had 150 Lassioglossum of primarily 3 species in about 4 bowls of a 12 bowl transect, on one date.  I planned to resamples in the same area the following year, but it got upset by a major building project for the Center.  My explaination was that there were a lot of nests in that area, a rocky/gravely section of hillside.  If you want the exact species, I'll dig it out of the data set.  What a pain to pin all those tiny bees and separate them by abdominal hair distribution, expecially as I was really new at this.  But I did it.

          Anita Collins

          Albert Einstein

[...]

        • Kuhn,Bernadette
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013

            Dear Listserve-

            I am looking for any tips on sampling nesting density of ground nesting bees in native grasslands. I have read the methods described by Kim et al. 2006* which describe using floating rowcover. The authors covered patches of ground with rowcover at night and captured bees that emerged from nests in the morning. I am considering using similar methods, maybe paired with pan traps beneath the rowcover. Has anyone tried rowcover with or without pan traps to measure nesting density? Perhaps there are other methods I have not stumbled across?  Any input is appreciated.

            *Reference: Kim, J., N. Williams, C. Kremen. 2006. Effects of Cultivation and Proximity to Natural Habitat on Ground-Nesting Native Bees in California Sunflower Fields. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 79 (4): 309-320.

            Thanks,

            Bernadette Kuhn

            Botanist

            Colorado Natural Heritage Program