Cumberland Island National Beeshore

  • Droege, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2013
    Attached is a pdf of the usual report on the bees of the island.  I realized the file size and formatting issues were reaching their limits using a straight email, so am trying this instead.

    Thanks all.

    sam

    Sam Droege  sdroege@...

    One or Two Things

    1
    Don't bother me.
    I've just
    been born.

    2
    The butterfly's loping flight
    carries it through the country of the leaves
    delicately, and well enough to get it
    where it wants to go, wherever that is, stopping
    here and there to fuzzle the damp throats
    of flowers and the black mud; up
    and down it swings, frenzied and aimless; and sometimes

    for long delicious moments it is perfectly
    lazy, riding motionless in the breeze on the soft stalk
    of some ordinary flower.

    3
    The god of dirt
    came up to me many times and said
    so many wise and delectable things, I lay
    on the grass listening
    to his dog voice,
    crow voice,
    frog voice; now,
    he said, and now,

    and never once mentioned forever,

    4
    which has nevertheless always been,
    like a sharp iron hoof,
    at the center of my mind.

    5
    One or two things are all you need
    to travel over the blue pond, over the deep
    roughage of the trees and through the stiff
    flowers of lightning--some deep
    memory of pleasure, some cutting
    knowledge of pain.

    6