RE: [beemonitoring] Records of Megachile sculpturalis?

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013

      Peter and others- here are the papers likely to answer your questions.  If you need more, Dr. Mangum could answer if anyone could.

      yours

      Jim

      Literature Cited

      BATRA, S. W. T. 1998. Biology of the giant resin bee, Megachile sculpturalis Smith, a conspicuous new immigrant in Maryland. The Maryland Naturalist 42: 1-3.

      MANGUM, W. A. AND R. W. BROOKS. 1997. First records of Megachile (Callomegachile) sculpturalis Smith (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) in the continental United States. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 70: 140-142.

      MANGUM, W. A. AND S. SUMNER. 2003. A survey of the North American range of Megachile (Callomegachile) sculpturalis, an adventive species in North America. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 76: 658-662.

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

      Gardening for Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

    • J. C. Lucier
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
        First detected in North America in North Carolina in 1994 (Mangum and Brooks, 1997). First observed in Canada (Ontario) in 2002 (Mangum and Sumner, 2003; Paiero and Buck, 2004), and recently collected in Quebec (Gibbs and Sheffield, 2009).
      • <barbara.abraham@...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013

          I would not let it sit on my hand, because those I have captured have threatened with their mandibles, and those are formidable!!

          Barb

          Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

          Associate Professor

          SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor